Yellow Box Definition Tips Disappear on VC++ platform

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by alan, Aug 22, 2003.

  1. alan

    alan Guest

    Hi all,

    I have create a simple function and make a pure C dll. When I use this
    DLL from my main program, I found I cannot see this function's
    definition tips (yellow box).
    It works fine, but no yellow box tips!
    Here is my creating procedure,
    [DLL]
    #include <stdio.h>

    __declspec(dllexport) int sum(int a, int b);

    int sum(int a, int b)
    {
    return a+b;

    [MAIN PROGRAM]
    #include <stdio.h>
    extern __declspec(dllimport) int sum(int a, int b);
    void main()
    {
    int t;

    t = sum(1,2); <-------------------my problem is here
    printf("%d", t); When I type "sum(" , none
    of
    Yellow BOX tip appear.

    If I use a standard function , such as printf(), the yellow box tip
    will appear to remind me what parameters I should provide.

    Can any body help me to make my program to show the yellow box tips
    again?

    Thank you very much.
    Alan

    alan, Aug 22, 2003

  2. alan

    Mike Wahler Guest

    Re: [OT, welcome msg, redir] Yellow Box Definition Tips Disappear on VC++ platform

    alan <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have create a simple function and make a pure C dll. When I use this
    > DLL from my main program, I found I cannot see this function's
    > definition tips (yellow box).
    > It works fine, but no yellow box tips!
    > Here is my creating procedure,
    > [DLL]
    > #include <stdio.h>
    >
    > __declspec(dllexport) int sum(int a, int b);
    >
    > int sum(int a, int b)
    > {
    > return a+b;
    >
    > [MAIN PROGRAM]
    > #include <stdio.h>
    > extern __declspec(dllimport) int sum(int a, int b);
    > void main()
    > {
    > int t;
    >
    > t = sum(1,2); <-------------------my problem is here
    > printf("%d", t); When I type "sum(" , none
    > of
    > Yellow BOX tip appear.
    >
    > If I use a standard function , such as printf(), the yellow box tip
    > will appear to remind me what parameters I should provide.
    >
    > Can any body help me to make my program to show the yellow box tips
    > again?

    Someone can, but not here. This newsgroup is only
    for ISO standard C, and not about any given development
    environment.

    Information about this newsgroup is at:
    http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt

    The folks who can help you are at newsgroup
    microsoft.public.vc.ide_general

    HTH,
    -Mike

    Mike Wahler, Aug 22, 2003

  3. alan wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have create a simple function and make a pure C dll. When I use this
    > DLL from my main program, I found I cannot see this function's
    > definition tips (yellow box).
    > It works fine, but no yellow box tips!
    > Here is my creating procedure,
    > [DLL]
    > #include <stdio.h>
    >
    > __declspec(dllexport) int sum(int a, int b);

    This __declspec thing - either it's a macro or it's a function call. If it's
    a function call, you have a syntax error. If it's a macro, it would have to
    expand to something like static, or extern, or perhaps nothing at all, in
    order to be legal.

    > int sum(int a, int b)
    > {
    > return a+b;
    > }

    This is okay unless the result of a+b overflows, in which case the behaviour
    is undefined.

    > [MAIN PROGRAM]
    > #include <stdio.h>
    > extern __declspec(dllimport) int sum(int a, int b);

    Same problem as before with __declspec.

    > void main()

    int main(void)

    > {
    > int t;
    >
    > t = sum(1,2); <-------------------my problem is here
    > printf("%d", t); When I type "sum(" , none
    > of
    > Yellow BOX tip appear.

    The C Standard does not oblige your editor to give you yellow box tips, or
    indeed box tips of any colour whatsoever.

    > If I use a standard function , such as printf(), the yellow box tip
    > will appear to remind me what parameters I should provide.

    In the absence of such yellow box tips, why not check the declarator for the
    function?

    > Can any body help me to make my program to show the yellow box tips
    > again?

    printf("yellow box tips\n"); will display the words "yellow box tips", if
    that helps you at all.

    --
    Richard Heathfield :

    Richard Heathfield, Aug 22, 2003