yet another possibility to add to a syntax-err msg?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by David Combs, May 29, 2005.

  1. David Combs

    David Combs Guest

    Subject: yet another possibility to add to a syntax-err msg?

    | 698 ==/dkcjunk==> /me-FIRST-in-PATH-bin/perl-5.8.6/bin/perl5.8.6 -c -w traverse-via-SOURCE-stmts.pl .myalias
    | syntax error at traverse-via-SOURCE-stmts.pl line 112, near "aryOfAliasObjRefs["
    | traverse-via-SOURCE-stmts.pl had compilation errors (#1)
    | (F) Probably means you had a syntax error. Common reasons include:
    |
    | A keyword is misspelled.
    | A semicolon is missing.
    | A comma is missing.
    | An opening or closing parenthesis is missing.
    | An opening or closing brace is missing.
    | A closing quote is missing.
    |
    | Often there will be another error message associated with the syntax
    | error giving more information. (Sometimes it helps to turn on -w.)
    | The error message itself often tells you where it was in the line when
    | it decided to give up. Sometimes the actual error is several tokens
    | before this, because Perl is good at understanding random input.
    | Occasionally the line number may be misleading, and once in a blue moon
    | the only way to figure out what's triggering the error is to call
    | perl -c repeatedly, chopping away half the program each time to see
    | if the error went away. Sort of the cybernetic version of S<20
    | questions>.
    |
    | Uncaught exception from user code:
    | syntax error at traverse-via-SOURCE-stmts.pl line 112, near "aryOfAliasObjRefs["
    | traverse-via-SOURCE-stmts.pl had compilation errors.
    | at traverse-via-SOURCE-stmts.pl line 165
    | 699 ==/dkcjunk==>

    But, here's what's actually at line 112:

    aryOfAliasObjRefs[$numAliases++] = $aliasObjRef;

    , the error being the missing sigil.

    Please add this possiblity to the other six.

    Thanks,

    David
    David Combs, May 29, 2005

  2. David Combs

    Anno Siegel Guest

    David Combs <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    > Subject: yet another possibility to add to a syntax-err msg?
    >
    > | 698 ==/dkcjunk==> /me-FIRST-in-PATH-bin/perl-5.8.6/bin/perl5.8.6 -c
    > -w traverse-via-SOURCE-stmts.pl .myalias

    This causes the output below? I don't see any reference to
    "diagnostics" or "splain" that would.

    > | syntax error at traverse-via-SOURCE-stmts.pl line 112, near
    > "aryOfAliasObjRefs["
    > | traverse-via-SOURCE-stmts.pl had compilation errors (#1)
    > | (F) Probably means you had a syntax error. Common reasons include:
    > |
    > | A keyword is misspelled.
    > | A semicolon is missing.
    > | A comma is missing.
    > | An opening or closing parenthesis is missing.
    > | An opening or closing brace is missing.
    > | A closing quote is missing.

    [...]

    > But, here's what's actually at line 112:
    >
    > aryOfAliasObjRefs[$numAliases++] = $aliasObjRef;
    >
    > , the error being the missing sigil.
    >
    > Please add this possiblity to the other six.

    The list above doesn't claim to be complete, as "...reasons include"
    indicates. There must be dozens more possible causes for syntax errors
    that aren't mentioned. It's a reasonable list of the more frequent
    ones. I don't see compelling reason to add more.

    Anno
    Anno Siegel, May 29, 2005