    point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one.
    The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.
    -- George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950), Preface to Androcles and the Lion

    Phil Carmody, Oct 23, 2008

  2. Phil Carmody

    Ian Collins Guest

    Phil Carmody wrote:
    > Not that it's really important, but I notice that M-x yow
    > always returns the same quotation. Is that a bug, or am
    > I doing it wrong?

    Have you been on the turps again Phil?

    You're doing it wrong!

    Try comp.how.to.configure.phils.emacs

    --
    Ian Collins

    Ian Collins, Oct 23, 2008

  3. Phil Carmody

    Phil Carmody Guest

    Ian Collins <> writes:

    > Phil Carmody wrote:
    >> Not that it's really important, but I notice that M-x yow
    >> always returns the same quotation. Is that a bug, or am
    >> I doing it wrong?
    >>

    > Have you been on the turps again Phil?

    Saaremaa Tume, Left Hand Milk Stout, and Slaapmutske Tripel,
    for reference.

    > You're doing it wrong!
    >
    > Try comp.how.to.configure.phils.emacs

    You're lucky you didn't get both the logs from the debugging
    runs from my latest number-crunching code, and also some
    veeeeery off-topic statements destined for IRC.

    I need to work out which window's which, and when I've done
    that, I'll get the post to the right newsgroup.

    Sorry!
    Phil
    --
    The fact that a believer is happier than a sceptic is no more to the

    Phil Carmody, Oct 23, 2008
  4. Phil Carmody

    Phil Carmody Guest

    Ian Collins <> writes:
    > Phil Carmody wrote:
    >> Not that it's really important, but I notice that M-x yow
    >> always returns the same quotation. Is that a bug, or am
    >> I doing it wrong?
    >>

    > Have you been on the turps again Phil?
    >
    > You're doing it wrong!
    >
    > Try comp.how.to.configure.phils.emacs

    Oh god, I've just remembered - you've seen me after too many beers...

    Phil

    Phil Carmody, Oct 23, 2008
  5. Phil Carmody

    Richard Bos Guest

    Phil Carmody <> wrote:

    > Ian Collins <> writes:
    >
    > > Have you been on the turps again Phil?

    > Saaremaa Tume, Left Hand Milk Stout,

    Coincidentally, I bought one of those recently. Haven't opened it yet;
    I've been drinking bocks lately, of course. What's it like? Does it
    really taste of milk?

    Richard

    Richard Bos, Oct 24, 2008
  6. Phil Carmody

    Phil Carmody Guest

    (Richard Bos) writes:
    > Phil Carmody <> wrote:
    >
    >> Ian Collins <> writes:
    >>
    >> > Have you been on the turps again Phil?

    >> Saaremaa Tume, Left Hand Milk Stout,

    > Coincidentally, I bought one of those recently. Haven't opened it yet;
    > I've been drinking bocks lately, of course.

    At the festival in Amsterdam, I hope. The Cracked Kettle has just
    received a large order of bocks...

    > What's it like? Does it really taste of milk?

    Not at all. The 'milk' in the name is because some of the
    fermentable sugars in the wort were lactose. Normal brewing
    yeast can't ferment that, so it remains in the final beer.
    So it's sweeter and more full-bodied than it would be if the
    sugars had been fermented. More calories too, but I don't
    recommend combining the habits of calorie counting and beer
    drinking, unless you're actively aiming for high numbers.
    In the UK it's no longer legal to call such a stout a "milk"
    stout. I think "sweet stout" is the prefered name.

    Is it possible to get more OT?

    Phil

    Phil Carmody, Oct 25, 2008
  7. In article <>,
    Phil Carmody <> wrote a bunch of
    interesting stuff (seriously!) that is, alas, verboten in CLC, leading
    up to:
    >In the UK it's no longer legal to call such a stout a "milk"
    >stout. I think "sweet stout" is the prefered name.
    >
    >Is it possible to get more OT?

    Now where are KT and CBF when you need them???

    Kenny McCormack, Oct 25, 2008
  8. Phil Carmody

    Richard Bos Guest

    Phil Carmody <> wrote:

    > (Richard Bos) writes:
    > > Phil Carmody <> wrote:

    > >> Saaremaa Tume, Left Hand Milk Stout,

    > > Coincidentally, I bought one of those recently. Haven't opened it yet;
    > > I've been drinking bocks lately, of course.

    > At the festival in Amsterdam, I hope.

    No, at home. I don't drink and drive, and I'd have to to get home.

    > > What's it like? Does it really taste of milk?

    > Not at all. The 'milk' in the name is because some of the
    > fermentable sugars in the wort were lactose. Normal brewing
    > yeast can't ferment that, so it remains in the final beer.

    I see.

    > Is it possible to get more OT?

    Yes (though, admittedly, not much): beer is good for when the
    programming has got too much to handle :)

    Richard

    Richard Bos, Oct 27, 2008