zed shaw zed shaw zed shaw

Jeremy McAnally

Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.

Zed Shaw Zed Shawing. Zed! :mad:

--Jeremy

Zed Shaw zed shaw, zed; shaw. Zed shaw? Zed, zed, shaw, shaw; shaw
zed. Zed zed shaw shaw shaw? Wahs dez! Wahs dez zed shaw, zed zed shaw
shaw.

--
Giles Bowkett

Blog: http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com
Portfolio: http://www.gilesgoatboy.org
Tumblelog: http://giles.tumblr.com

--
http://www.jeremymcanally.com/

My books:
Ruby in Practice
http://www.manning.com/mcanally/

My free Ruby e-book
http://www.humblelittlerubybook.com/

My blogs:
http://www.mrneighborly.com/
http://www.rubyinpractice.com/

Rick DeNatale

Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.

Zed Shaw Zed Shawing. Zed! :mad:

Well, I don't know if Rails is really a ghetto. But ruby-talk appears
to be turning into a loony bin!

Bill Kelly

From: "Rick DeNatale said:
Well, I don't know if Rails is really a ghetto. But ruby-talk appears
to be turning into a loony bin!

require 'net/http'
_,x = Net::HTTP.new("en.wikipedia.org").get("/wiki/Fictional_races_in_South_Park")
p x.tr('Mm','Zz').gsub(/ez/,'em').gsub(/arklar/,'edhsaw').scan(/Ze\w+,\s+th.*,\s+or\s+z\w+s./m)

sorry could not resist :)

Bill

David Morton

Rick DeNatale

require 'net/http'
_,x = Net::HTTP.new("en.wikipedia.org").get("/wiki/Fictional_races_in_South_Park")
p x.tr('Mm','Zz').gsub(/ez/,'em').gsub(/arklar/,'edhsaw').scan(/Ze\w+,\s+th.*,\s+or\s+z\w+s./m)

umm should that last line be:

p x.tr('Mm','Zz').gsub(/ez/,'em').gsub(/arklar/,'edshaw').scan(/Ze\w+,\s+th.*,\s+or\s+z\w+s./m)

or is there a subtlety I missed?

Joel VanderWerf

Rick said:
Well, I don't know if Rails is really a ghetto. But ruby-talk appears
to be turning into a loony bin!

To be more precise, it seems that Giles has blundered into a secret
passageway into the brain of Z.S., and then tricked Z.S. to enter that
passageway himself.[1]

It's not clear at this point exactly what kind of passageway Jeremy has
entered.

[1] http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120601/usercomments

Bill Kelly

From: "Rick DeNatale said:
umm should that last line be:

p x.tr('Mm','Zz').gsub(/ez/,'em').gsub(/arklar/,'edshaw').scan(/Ze\w+,\s+th.*,\s+or\s+z\w+s./m)

or is there a subtlety I missed?

As such things go, immediately after I posted I noticed some glitches
in the output that I had overlooked... :(

Changing the last line to the following produces the intended output.

p x.tr('M','Z').gsub(/arklar/,'edhsaw').gsub(/\bme/,'ze').scan(/Ze\w+,\s+th.*,\s+or\s+z\w+s./m)

:)

Regards,

Bill

Giles Bowkett

Zed Shaw zed shaw, zed; shaw. Zed shaw? Zed, zed, shaw, shaw; shaw
Well, I don't know if Rails is really a ghetto. But ruby-talk appears
to be turning into a loony bin!

To be more precise, it seems that Giles has blundered into a secret
passageway into the brain of Z.S., and then tricked Z.S. to enter that
passageway himself.[1]

It's not clear at this point exactly what kind of passageway Jeremy has
entered.

[1] http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120601/usercomments

Tangent: city ITA Software has a really cool interview question: come
up with maximum number of combinations of movie titles, e.g., "The
Unbearable Lightness Of Being John Malkovich."

--

Giles said:
Tangent: city ITA Software has a really cool interview question: come
up with maximum number of combinations of movie titles, e.g., "The
Unbearable Lightness Of Being John Malkovich."

Hat trick: Gone with the Winds of War and Peace.

Can this get any more off topic?

Giles Bowkett

Philip Hallstrom

Giles said:
Hat trick: Gone with the Winds of War and Peace.

Can this get any more off topic?

Yes. Unless we make it the next ruby quiz to query imdb.com :)

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World Is Not Enough, The

:)

William James

require 'net/http'
_,x = Net::HTTP.new("en.wikipedia.org").get("/wiki/Fictional_races_in_South_Park")
p x.tr('Mm','Zz').gsub(/ez/,'em').gsub(/arklar/,'edhsaw').scan(/Ze\w+,\s+th.*,\s+or\s+z\w+s./m)

sorry could not resist :)

Bill

require 'net/http'
_,x = Net::HTTP.new("en.wikipedia.org").get("/wiki/
Fictional_races_in_South_Park")
puts x[/Marklar,.*?or marklars./].gsub(/(m)arklar/i){$1.tr('Mm','Zz')
+'edshaw'}

With word-wrap:

puts x[/Marklar,.*?or marklars./].gsub(/(m)arklar/i){$1.tr('Mm','Zz')
+'edshaw'}.
scan(/\S.{0,64}\S(?=\s|$)|\S+/)

MenTaLguY

Yes. Unless we make it the next ruby quiz to query imdb.com :)

Well, it shouldn't be too hard in principle -- they have complete pages
of just movie titles broken up by year and initial letter.

http://www.imdb.com/TitlesByYear?year=#{year}&start=#{initial}&nav=/Sections/Years/#{year}/include-titles

(Where initial is one of 'A'..'Z' or '*')

The main difficulty is normalizing titles where initial articles have
been moved to the end, and doing so in a language-insensitive way.

However, I think the nice people at imdb.com would frown on someone (let
alone lots of someones) mining hundreds of thousands of movie titles this
way, so I was wondering if there was a reasonably large corpus of titles
precompiled somewhere which we could use instead.

Of course, we could always just write the scripts anyway and pretend
we had a more accessible database of titles to work from.

-mental

jonty

Thanks for the link!!

How about 5!

2000 leagues under the sea of love is the devil girl from mars attacks!!

Evan Haveman

However, I think the nice people at imdb.com would frown on someone
(let
alone lots of someones) mining

it's actually in their terms of use:
http://imdb.com/help/show_article?conditions

though here's some ruby code for doing it:
http://www.weheartcode.com/2007/04/03/scraping-imdb-with-ruby-and-
hpricot/
Of course, we could always just write the scripts anyway and pretend
we had a more accessible database of titles to work from.

i'm not sure of the contents exactly but what about the dataset from
the netflix prize?

http://www.netflixprize.com/

Chris Shea

Thanks for the link!!

How about 5!

2000 leagues under the sea of love is the devil girl from mars attacks!!

You missed getting to 6

Death Race 2000 Leagues Under the Sea of Love is the Devil Girl from
Mars Attacks

Giles Bowkett

2000 leagues under the sea of love is the devil girl from mars attacks!!
You missed getting to 6

Death Race 2000 Leagues Under the Sea of Love is the Devil Girl from
Mars Attacks

Marked For Death Race 2000 Leagues Under the Sea of Love is the Devil
Girl from Mars Attacks

But again the point is to do it *programmatically*.