    different counties/cities/etc. Is there a good way to handle this? Perhaps
    some kind of control we can use on an ASP page that will read our Zip Code
    data and handle this somehow?
    James, May 9, 2005

  2. James

    McKirahan Guest

    "James" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Recent project came to me. We have "orders" that are entered into our
    > database through a data entry web-based application that we've built.
    > Typically, the user enters the city/state/zip code/county. Now they want

    it
    > to be able to autopopulate the city/state/county based on entering only

    the
    > Zip Code. We realize this can be a problem as Zip Codes can overlap
    > different counties/cities/etc. Is there a good way to handle this?

    Perhaps
    > some kind of control we can use on an ASP page that will read our Zip Code
    > data and handle this somehow?

    The zip code database chnages thus you can't use a static database.

    http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/welcome.jsp

    "For integrating ZIP Code Lookup capabilities into your web site or
    application system, please visit our Web Tools (APIs) or find additional
    addressing products at Address Information System Products (AIS)."

    The "Address Information APIs" include "City/State Lookup"w hcih may not
    include County.
    McKirahan, May 9, 2005

  3. James

    Tim Slattery Guest

    "James" <> wrote:

    >Recent project came to me. We have "orders" that are entered into our
    >database through a data entry web-based application that we've built.
    >Typically, the user enters the city/state/zip code/county. Now they want it
    >to be able to autopopulate the city/state/county based on entering only the
    >Zip Code. We realize this can be a problem as Zip Codes can overlap
    >different counties/cities/etc.

    For mailing addresses, the overlap doesn't matter. The city name you
    get from the ZIP database will be the one the USPS wants to see. But
    if you intend to use this information to determine sales taxes or
    something like that, you will be in trouble.

    For example, I live in Fairfax County, Virginia, but my ZIP code
    translates to Alexandria - and that is what we use for our mailing
    address, and what the USPS wants us to use.

    But we pay taxes to Fairfax County, *not* Alexandria city. If you used
    our ZIP to determine taxing jurisdiction, you'd have us paying
    Alexandria rates, and you'd be sending the money to Alexandria. Wrong
    on both counts. And this kind of thing is commonplace, all over the
    country.

    Ah..I see that one of the things you want to auto populate is County.
    As I've just demonstrated, you're doomed.

    --
    Tim Slattery
    MS MVP(DTS)
    Tim Slattery, May 9, 2005