zOS: fopen for record-IO with any LRECL and RECFM

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Rudi, Jan 16, 2004.

  1. Rudi

    Rudi Guest

    Hi!

    For record-IO I have to specific the correct LRECL and RECFM on fopen,
    e.g.
    fileptr=fopen(DDNAME,"type=record,recfm=fb,lrecl=80")

    and later fread with
    fread(LINE, 1, 80, fileptr )

    If LRECL or RECM is wrong:
    EDC5087I The specified file characteristics did not match those of the
    existing file.

    Since I cannot open the file with compatible Attributes like
    recfm=vb,lrecl=32760, I have to retrieve these file characterics in
    advance.

    How?

    Thanx for any hint, Rudi

    Rudi, Jan 16, 2004

  2. Rudi <> spoke thus:

    > For record-IO I have to specific the correct LRECL and RECFM on fopen,
    > e.g.
    > fileptr=fopen(DDNAME,"type=record,recfm=fb,lrecl=80")

    > Thanx for any hint, Rudi

    Your post is off-topic for comp.lang.c. Please visit

    http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/u/dj3vande/clc/clc-welcome.txt

    Christopher Benson-Manica, Jan 16, 2004

  3. (CCed)
    On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 14:33:23 +0000 (UTC), Christopher Benson-Manica
    <> wrote:

    > Rudi <> spoke thus:
    >
    > > For record-IO I have to specific the correct LRECL and RECFM on fopen,
    > > e.g.
    > > fileptr=fopen(DDNAME,"type=record,recfm=fb,lrecl=80")

    > > Thanx for any hint, Rudi

    > Your post is off-topic for comp.lang.c. Please visit
    >
    > http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/u/dj3vande/clc/clc-welcome.txt

    Although the list of OS pointers there does not cover this case. IME
    OS/360 et seq are sufficiently close to the topic of comp.lang.asm.370
    to be accepted and handled. I believe there is more than one C
    compiler and possibly library used on the 360 clan, though I'm not
    sure about zOS specifically; if so which might make a difference to
    the answer so I suggest you specify it.

    - David.Thompson1 at worldnet.att.net

    Dave Thompson, Jan 23, 2004