2.0 ascx on a 1.1 aspx?

jessetechie

Hi folks,

Is it possible to use VS 2005 and ASP.NET 2.0 to write an ascx control,
then use the control on an ASP.NET 1.1 page?

Are there incompatibilities per se, or does it depend on what the
control is doing?

Thanks,

jessetechie

Brock Allen

As long as everything you do in the ASCX is v1.1 compliant, then sure. But
you're only using VS.NET 2005 as an edit, same as if you had used notepad.

jessetechie

So we couldn't use the 2.0 versions of the built-in controls, like
DataGrid, etc. ?

Brock Allen

Correct, since you can only load one version of the .NET runtil in any one
Win32 process. The ASPX and ASCX run in the same Win32 process, so they're
going to be limited to the same version of the runtime.