_gtk ImportError

Cousin Stanley

I __had__ a __working__ installation of the GTK Runtime and PyGTK
using Python23 under Win98, but managed to muck it up,
I think but couldn't swear to it, with a separate install of wGlade for Windows
which has since been un-installed ....

I've also un-installed/re-installed both the GTK Runtime and PyGTK
from the original packages ....

GTK Runtime 2.2.4.1
PyGTK 2.0 win32

Attempts to import gtk now fail as follows ....

python
Enthought Edition build 1028
Python 2.3 (#46, Aug 11 2003, 09:34:05) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
File "K:\PYTHON23\Lib\site-packages\gtk-2.0\gtk\__init__.py", line 43, in ?
from _gtk import *
ImportError: DLL load failed: A device attached to the system is not functioning
..
# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The GTK Runtime bin and lib paths
__are__ included in the Windows path environment variable ....

Using Google, I found one post in French that reported
what seemed to be the identical ImportError, but no solution ....

I also found quite a few posts related to other _gtk import problems,
but a couple of suggestions there didn't help either....

o whacking left-over versions of C:/Windows/System/libgtk-xxx.dll

o import pygtk
pygtk.require( '2.0' )
import gtk

This hurts my head, as I had it all working before,
but now have managed to blow it ....

Any clues ????