A simple System Info application

Guest

Hi there,

I just got an assignment to work on server maintenance. It is a weekly task
and we have about 7 production servers running Win2K server.

The tasks include but not limited to
1) Find out drive free space for each server’s disk drives (C:, D:, E:, and
etc)
2) Report critical errors from the event logs (Application, System,
replication and etc) for each server.
3) Review and perform windows critical updates
4) Make sure each server has the correct time stamp (Atom time for example)

After a weeks of manual processing, I started to wonder whether there is a
simple tool or sample ASP.NET code to do part of these items.

Instead of spending hours to walk through server by server, this simple
ASP.NET app can provide a report about these servers' system information I
don’t know the specific .NET library class that can retrieve these
server/network system info. Could you help?

Thanks a lot.

Best Regards,

Abel chan

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Abel,

Yes, this could be done using Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) . It
exposes COM objects that you can use from ASP.NET to get data:

"Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) provides access to information
about objects in a managed environment. Through WMI and the WMI application
programming interface (API), applications can query for and make changes to
static information in the Common Information Model (CIM) repository and
dynamic information maintained by the various types of providers."

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wmisdk/wmi/wmi_reference.asp

"Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) Tutorial

WMI is one of those things you hear about but never take any notice until
you look into a little bit and you realise the huge potential for monitoring
your application.

This tutorial will let you interrgoate things such as the IIS Service and
the MSSqlServer service. Note the potential with WMI is staggering - al you
need is some thought about what you want to do with it. "

http://www.csharpfriends.com/Articles/getArticle.aspx?articleID=114