About J2EE

Sameer

I want to do career in J2EE.

Recently I have downloaded the J2EE 1.4 Tutorial
for Sun Java System Application Server Platform Edition 8.1 2005Q2 UR2.
I am also having Sun Java Studio Enterprise.

The tutorial explains the following technologies:

XML,JAXP,SAX, DOM, XSL, XSLT, XPath, JAX-RPC, SAAJ, JAXR,
Servlets,JSP,JSTL, JSF, EJB, EJBQL, JMS, HTTP

Do I need to excel in most of these technologies to be a good J2EE
developer?

Is it necessary to have a good command over XML to learn J2EE as it is
explained earlier in the tutorial?

Various J2EE Application Servers are available like Sun Java System
Application Server.
Some of them are IBM WebSphere, BEA WebLogic, JBoss, OC4J.
Which one should I choose?
Do I need to learn technologies specific to them like Oracle ADF?

Which GUI editor should I choose from:
Eclipse, IntelliJ IDEA,BEA Workshop,Sun Creator, Sun Java Studio
Enterprise, Oracle's Java Editor?

Please suggest a suitable newsgroup to post messages about J2EE.

I am a lot confused. Please help me.

Chris Smith

Sameer said:
The tutorial explains the following technologies:

XML,JAXP,SAX, DOM, XSL, XSLT, XPath, JAX-RPC, SAAJ, JAXR,
Servlets,JSP,JSTL, JSF, EJB, EJBQL, JMS, HTTP

Do I need to excel in most of these technologies to be a good J2EE
developer?

There is no definition of a "J2EE developer" anywhere. J2EE is just a
bunch of APIs to do a bunch of related things, where a certified J2EE
container has to implement all of them. You don't have to use all of
them.

That said, there are some that you'd need to understand to work on the
average project that calls itself "J2EE". For example, JMS and EJBs are
sort of "central" technologies. A project that uses everything on your
list EXCEPT EJBs and JMS probably still wouldn't call itself J2EE.

If your goal isn't just to be able to say "J2EE" on your resume, then
you should learn what you need, when you need it. You will never be an
expert at all of the J2EE technologies simultaneously, so you may as
well give up on that.
Is it necessary to have a good command over XML to learn J2EE as it is
explained earlier in the tutorial?

In a sense, yes. This doesn't mean you have to be able to solve tricky
problems with XSL, though. It means you should know XML syntax, since
you'll be writing a lot of it.
Which one should I choose?

Doesn't matter too much. JBoss is free.
Which GUI editor should I choose from:
Eclipse, IntelliJ IDEA,BEA Workshop,Sun Creator, Sun Java Studio
Enterprise, Oracle's Java Editor?

As an IDE, Eclipse and IDEA are both nice. If you mean a GUI designer,
then none of the above. GUIs aren't part of J2EE.
Please suggest a suitable newsgroup to post messages about J2EE.

This one is fine.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Sameer

Thanks for your posting!

Please tell me your opinion about Core Java i.e. J2SE.

Now there is a boom of J2EE so I decided to learn it.
But is it worth to concentrate on Core Java only?

Core Java is also a big field with lot of API's like Sound, 3D
Graphics, Networking.
And with release of Java 5 it is also much interesting with features
like Generics etc.

J2SE do not need any application server. Just download the
corresponding API documentation and your are ready to use the classes
therein.

How much scope is there in the industry for Core Java? Please compare
the jobs avaialble for J2SE and J2EE.

Is it necessary to move to J2EE?

Oliver Wong

Sameer said:
Thanks for your posting!

Please tell me your opinion about Core Java i.e. J2SE.

Now there is a boom of J2EE so I decided to learn it.
But is it worth to concentrate on Core Java only?

Core Java is also a big field with lot of API's like Sound, 3D
Graphics, Networking.
And with release of Java 5 it is also much interesting with features
like Generics etc.

J2SE do not need any application server. Just download the
corresponding API documentation and your are ready to use the classes
therein.

How much scope is there in the industry for Core Java? Please compare
the jobs avaialble for J2SE and J2EE.

Is it necessary to move to J2EE?

For jobs, it probably depends on where you live. For what it's worth, I
use J2SE and no J2EE at my job. Some of the other employees here use J2EE
though.

Either way, I think it's typical to learn J2SE first, before moving on
to J2EE.

- Oliver