Adding modules to library? / package?

Joined
Jul 20, 2023
Messages
56
Reaction score
2
so I may not have the wording correct. Im not really seeing the word Library being used with python at least not in this context but idk i thought thats what it was. Anyway what Im trying to do is have a module of my own available to me on all future projects without having to copy and paste that module in each and every new project folder. What say you???

Joined
Jul 4, 2023
Messages
366
Reaction score
41
The suggestions from GPT look interesting ...

This will allow the Python interpreter to locate the module from anywhere on that path. Here are a few ways to do it:

  1. Adding to PYTHONPATH in code: In your Python script, you can append the path to the directory containing your module to the sys.path variable before attempting to import the module. Keep in mind that this change will only apply to the current script session.

    Python:
    import sys
    sys.path.append('/path/to/your/module')
    import your_module_name

  2. PYTHONPATH environment variable: You can set the PYTHONPATH environment variable to include the path to the directory containing your module. The system will take this into account for all Python sessions launched in that environment.
  3. Creating a .pth file: You can create a file named, for example, mymodule.pth inside the site-packages directory within your Python installation location. This file should contain the path to the directory containing your module. This will automatically add the specified path to the PYTHONPATH for any Python installations utilizing that site-packages directory.
    For example, if you're using Python on a Linux system, you can do the following:
    1. Find the path to the site-packages directory in your Python installation. It might be something like /usr/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages.
    2. Create a file named mymodule.pth in that directory.
    3. In the mymodule.pth file, place the full path to the directory with your module, e.g., /path/to/your/module.
Ensure that you have the necessary permissions to make changes to Python installation locations, especially when dealing with modifications to the site-packages directory. It's also important to understand that altering the Python environment can impact other projects, so carefully consider which approaches best suit your needs.