alternatives to JDOM

abs

Hi !

I need an easy way to read and write simple XML documents for
my little java application. I know that you can do it with
the native 1.4 API classes, but it seems a bit complex.
Someone recommended me JDOM for this task. But the problem is that it
seems to add too much overhead for a simple application like mine. Is
there a lightwegiht alternative to JDOM ? I only need to be able to read
and write simple XML documents. I don't need to validate them.

Thanks

Scott Ellsworth

abs said:
Someone recommended me JDOM for this task. But the problem is that it
seems to add too much overhead for a simple application like mine.

JDOM has served me quite well over the years, and I found it a lot
simpler than going with straight SAX, while performing better than DOM.
Is
there a lightwegiht alternative to JDOM ? I only need to be able to read
and write simple XML documents. I don't need to validate them.

One up and coming alternative is Elliote Rusty Harold's XOM. In my
limited testing, it was faster and used less RAM than JDOM, without any
substantial complexity increase. Its biggest downside is its immaturity
- it is only now coming out of developer releases. That said, it has a
quite thorough unit test suite, such that it may well end up more
reliable than many other options despite its young age.

Scott
(e-mail address removed)
Java, Cocoa, WebObjects and Database consulting