[ANN] image_science 1.1.3 Released

Ryan Davis

image_science version 1.1.3 has been released!

* <http://seattlerb.rubyforge.org/ImageScience.html>

ImageScience is a clean and happy Ruby library that generates
thumbnails -- and kicks the living crap out of RMagick. Oh, and it
doesn't leak memory like a sieve. :) For more information including
build steps, see http://seattlerb.rubyforge.org/

Changes:

## 1.1.3 / 2007-05-30

* 2 minor enhancements:
* Added quick_thumb as an example to look at.
* Error handler doesn't raise by default. Raises if $DEBUG==true.

* <http://seattlerb.rubyforge.org/ImageScience.html>

James Edward Gray II

So? He and I disagree. Big deal. We've done it before [1], I'm sure
we'll do it again.

[1] http://blog.zenspider.com/archives/2006/04/its_the_process.html

Well, I was thinking it might be worth it to submit bug reports to
the tracker so he could fix them. I see from your article that
you've had trouble with that in the past though. Fair enough.

James Edward Gray II

Tim Hunter

James said:
The creator of this library disagrees, just FYI:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/msg/a61984b06e70acea

James Edward Gray II
Thanks for reposting my earlier request, James. I'll repeat it here for
emphasis:

As of this moment there are no open bug tracks for RMagick memory leaks
on RubyForge. All the RMagick "leaks" I know about are addressed in this
entry in the RMagick Hints & Tips forum:
http://rubyforge.org/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1374&forum_id=1618.

If you know of a leak that isn't addressed by that tip, I'd love an
opportunity to fix it. Would you mind sending me a script that
reproduces the leak? I need a script with no extra gems or libraries,
just Ruby and RMagick. No Rails, attachment_fu, file_column, gruff,
scruffy, or whatever. Let me know what O/S you're on, what version of
RMagick and ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick, and what version of Ruby. You
can send it directly to me, post it here, or open a bug track on RubyForge.

By the way, since I originally posted that request on the 17th I've had
no new bug reports, so please, send 'em in.

Hyung Choi

Could I get some help setting up image_science in my win32 environment?
I've never worked with RubyInline and I think that's where I'm getting
stuck. I have both Visual Studio 2003 and 2005 installed. So far, I've
gotten:

gem install -y image_science
irb
irb(main):001:0> require 'image_science'
cl : Command line warning D4002 : ignoring unknown option '-lfreeimage'
cl : Command line warning D4002 : ignoring unknown option '-lstdc++'
CompilationError: error executing cl -nologo -LD -MD -Zi -O2b2xg- -G6
-I C:/tools/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mswin32 -I C:/tools/ruby/include -o
"C:\Documents and Settings\HC/.ruby_inline/Inline_ImageSci
ence_aa58.so" "C:/Documents and
Settings/HC/.ruby_inline/Inline_ImageScience_aa58.c" -lfreeimage
-lstdc++ -link /LIBPATH:"C:/tools/ruby/lib"
/DEFAULTLIB:"msvcrt-ruby18.lib" /INCREMENTAL:no /EXPORT:Init
_Inline_ImageScience_aa58: 512
Renamed C:\Documents and
Settings\HC/.ruby_inline/Inline_ImageScience_aa58.c to C:\Documents and
Settings\HC/.ruby_inline/Inline_ImageScience_aa58.c.bad
from
C:/tools/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/RubyInline-3.6.3/lib/inline.rb:391:in
`build'
from
C:/tools/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/RubyInline-3.6.3/lib/inline.rb:660:in
`inline'
from
C:/tools/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/image_science-1.1.3/lib/image_science.rb:84
from
C:/tools/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:32:in
`gem_original_require'
from
C:/tools/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:32:in
`require'
from (irb):1