ASP.NET 2.0 Processing Times

Will

Our company just allowed asp.net to be used internally here at my job.
I am in the process of getting the software. My boss wants me to have
some sort of way to capture load times in various places. I understand
trace and how to turn it on but apparently this is not good enough. Is
there anyway without writing my own code to do some sort of process
time checking and just printing it to the screen but making them
specific to different areas of the application like...

Client to Server transmission times (ie ping times in ms)
IIS Processing time
Sql Processing time
Program processing time. (full programming time)

Or is this all done with tracing? Or do I need to write my own code to
accomplish this?

John Parrish

I would take a look at the logging support that the Enterprise Library
offers, it provides a lot of configuration capabilites, as well as sinks for
events that would be a good starting point for incorporating performance
metrics into your application code. But, yes, it will require that you
provide the fundamental logic for calculating the times.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/?url=/library/en-us/dnpag2/html/EntLib2.asp

You can also look into profiling that is provided for free as a way of
viewing the CLR performance in terms of heap allocations. The download for
the free profiler from MS is:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...52-d7f4-4aeb-9b7a-94635beebdda&displaylang=en

Will

John thank you for the thorough reply, now are these items that will
give me a dll to reference in a bin directory or is this applications
that need to be installed on a server (which I cannot do)....

I was trying to see if I could get something that would only show for
certain people and can be seen any time that person runs the page to
diagnose where the bottleneck could be....

John Parrish

are these items that will
give me a dll to reference in a bin directory or is this applications
that need to be installed on a server (which I cannot do)....

The enterprise library will give you dll assemblies for each of the services
that you choose to use. You can deploy that along with your application.
Included with the Ent Lib is a desktop application that allows you to
configure the services that you choose to use.
I was trying to see if I could get something that would only show for
certain people and can be seen any time that person runs the page to
diagnose where the bottleneck could be....

Keep in mind that the act of profiling an application's performance will in
turn affect the performance. I wouldn't think that you would want heavy
logging of metrics running all of the time. As far as certain individuals
seeing the information, depending on how you configure the logging sinks you
can have your information logged to a SQL server that you write a separate
application for, or password protect an area within your site to provide
reports.

Regards