ASP.NET Server Side Event

Guest

Hi
I have a label on my WebPage. When Event A occurs on the Server I want to update the information in the label. So the Event A is not a client event but an event that occurs on the Server. So I want to update the Label on the Webpage to indicate the event has occured to all the user that are viewing the Web Page

Shreyash

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Here is the nature of web applications (HTTP communication).

1. Client contacts server with a request
2. Server gets request and sends a response
3. Server now has no clue who the client is

This leaves a couple of options.

1. Embed software in the page that listens for the server - difficult with
security settings
2. Embed software in the page that polls the server on a regular basis -
easier, but very chatty

You cannot, using the standard web methodology, update a label on a server
event where the client has no contact with the server. If you want to alter
the client, you will either have to set a listener on the client or poll the
server. The only exception is when you have a page response still open, ie,
you have not sent everything to the client yet.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!