at my wits end with CR

Guest

I'm still amazed after working with Crystal Reports (CR) for over 4 years
that they are still the messiest most un-stable application around.
I've been thrown back into using it just recently and need help where no
help can be found. It's included in VS, which one would think as a good
marketing ploy to get there software used and purchased. And that would
typically work if the product actually performed and was supported.
After countless issues, I have been working through their almost
non-existant support system. In the last week their e-mail system has failed,
their tech are sending me emails using their personal accounts. And the
for a $1 machine. Seagate didn't do much with them, now Business Objects
appears to have even less in store for CR. I've tried once more to use their
online support form submital to find it doesn't work today either. And they
sent me a survey asking me about there service and that didn't work!!!!!
Why is VS still using CR? Why doesn't Microsoft just buy them and clean up
this, what could be fruitful, reporting application. It's the standard!

My current issue with no help to be found (searching their limited knowledge
base on their own product):
My report uses a value field, that I've tried converting to money, real,
etc., that will not display and will not total. The report at design time
shows the 'represented field values' but when you run the report that field
is empty. I've tried everything! I've recreated the report 5 times!
I've already wasted one day just getting the app patched, configured, and
repaired to work period. Talk about hitting a brick wall.

Jason

Chris,
Have you considered looking into SQL reporting services? I recently
evaluated it and found that it was 'quirk-free' at least in comparison
to CR. It's got a bit of a learning curve coming from CR, and the
reports don't convert :(, but you'll find it a much better experience
than trying to work around CR.
Just my two cents.
Jason

Bruce Barker

look at using SQLServers Reporting Services instead, while a sqlserver is
required to manage the reports, it can use ant datasource for the reportt

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Guest

I've read a few things bout it and have thought about it. But how's it's
integration with ASP.NET? Does it offer a VS.NET 2003+ integration IDE?
Hows the runtime web component? Is it an added DLL?
I'm using SQL Server 2K but I wished they offered a downloadable way to get
Reporting Services, you have to order it and my experince is that takes weeks
if not months to get :(

thanx.