cache application block expiration on a webfarm

Felix Planjer

Hi group,

We're developing an application that may be migrated to a web farm in
the future, but we want to be prepared for the move, hence the following
question:

Using the Caching Application Block, how can one machine, when updating
a table in the database, signal it's own, but more importantly, signal
the other machines cache to invalidate the cached database result?

Regards, Felix

bruce barker

it depends on how out of date the cache can be. if you can afford a lag,
then a notification of cache invalidation can be sent. you could use udp for
this, a database table you poll, sqlserver notification services. etc.

if no lag is allowed, then you will will have to implement a distributed
lock manager, as you must lock the cache on all servers during updates, and
invalidate after. if you do not understand coding a dlm, (microsoft havesn't
yet for their cluster support), then you probably should abanon the local
cache, and use sqlserver for the cache - it will be faster.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)