Caching

Shabam

I need to implement a caching mechanism for my script URLs. Instead of
www.domain.com/script.cgi?id=1234 , which the browser will obviously not
cache, I want the URL to be something like www.domain.com/1234 or
www.domain.com/1234.htm instead. This way the browser will cache the page.

I have two concerns:

1) Is this possible without rewriting the url? If so how?

2) The result page will be different for different users. Will this cause
trouble with proxy servers? My goal is only to cache a particular version
for a particular user so that if he requests the URL again (within X
minutes) the server doesn't have to process it again.

David Dorward

Shabam said:
I need to implement a caching mechanism for my script URLs. Instead of
www.domain.com/script.cgi?id=1234 , which the browser will obviously not
cache

Obviously? Why obviously? GET requests are _supposed_ to be cachable.
, I want the URL to be something like www.domain.com/1234 or
www.domain.com/1234.htm instead.

A good idea (but go with .html rather then .htm, most sites have moved
beyond fudges to make editing under MS DOS 6 easier and people are more
likely to type .html).

http://www.evolt.org/search/index.html?keywords=search+engine+friendly
This way the browser will cache the page.

Nope. http://www.mnot.net/cache_docs/
I have two concerns:

1) Is this possible without rewriting the url? If so how?

That depends what you mean by "rewriting".
2) The result page will be different for different users. Will this cause
trouble with proxy servers? My goal is only to cache a particular version
for a particular user so that if he requests the URL again (within X
minutes) the server doesn't have to process it again.

It could cause trouble with proxy servers, read the above docs to configure
your cache control headers properly.