Calling Java applet from a user control

MarkMurphy

Is there a limitation in ASP.NET in this regard? From the aspx code
below, I can successfully call a Java applet. If I try the identical
thing in a user control ascx however, the control loads and hangs.
The Java console offers no clues. The server serves the aspx page
that contains the control, view source shows the expected html.
However, the applet does nothing. I'm integrating Quadbase
ExpressReport into a site. TIA.

<%@ Page language="c#" Codebehind="ReportView.aspx.cs"
AutoEventWireup="false" Inherits="MSWMD.ReportView" %>
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<title>Report</title>
</HEAD>
xxx <APPLET id="Object1" height="100%"
archive="/lib/ReportViewerWithChart.jar" width="100%"
code="quadbase.reportdesigner.ReportViewer.Viewer" VIEWASTEXT>
<PARAM NAME="filename" VALUE="d:/program
files/EspressReport/Templates/<%=reportName%>.rpt">
<PARAM NAME="cabbase" VALUE="/lib/ReportViewerWithChart.cab">
</APPLET> &nbsp; yyy
</HTML>

Jacob Yang [MSFT]

Hi Mark,

Thank you for posting to the MSDN newsgroups.

I can call a Java Applet successfully from a user control. The followings
are my testing steps. Please try them on your side.

1. Create a simple Java Applet. (I am using Microsoft Visual J++ 6.0 Pro to
create a default Java Applet.)

2. Create a default web application using VS.NET 2003.

3. Copy the Applet1.class file to the web application folder.

4. Add a default user control to the web application.

5. Add the following HTML code in the user control.

<%@ Control Language="c#" AutoEventWireup="false"
Codebehind="WebUserControl1.ascx.cs"
Inherits="DynamicControl.WebUserControl1"
TargetSchema="http://schemas.microsoft.com/intellisense/ie5"%>
<APPLET height="200" width="320" code="Applet1.class" name="Applet1"
VIEWASTEXT>
<PARAM NAME="foreground" VALUE="FFFFFF">
<PARAM NAME="background" VALUE="008080">
<PARAM NAME="label" VALUE="This string was passed from the HTML host.">
</APPLET>

5. Put the user control on the web form.

<uc1:WebUserControl1 id="WebUserControl11"
runat="server"></uc1:WebUserControl1>

6. Build and run the web application.

If I have misunderstood your concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Jacob Yang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

MarkMurphy

In the midst of doing some other changes, this problem went away.
It's unknown what the cause was.