Can a repeater's ItemTemplate instantiate derived classes?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by Big Daddy, Oct 27, 2006.

  1. Big Daddy

    Big Daddy Guest

    I posted this in a different group yesterday with no responses, so I'll
    try here.

    I would like to have a repeater class like this:

    <asp:Repeater ID="CriteriaRepeater" runat="server" >
    <ItemTemplate>
    <uc1:BaseControl ID="BaseControl1" BindData='<%#
    Container.DataItem %>' runat="server" />
    </ItemTemplate>
    </asp:Repeater>

    The thing that is getting repeated for each item in the datasource is a

    user control that is a base class. I would like it to actually create
    different controls that are devired from the base control, depending on

    the values in the datasource. For example, if there are three classes
    derived from BaseControl1 (DerivedControl1, DerivedControl2,
    DerivedControl3), if the datasource has three records, the repeater
    would be able to create one instance of each of the derived classes
    rather than three instances of the base class. Is this possible?

    Thanks in advance,
    John

    Big Daddy, Oct 27, 2006

  2. It's possible if you write it. ;-)

    You would need to create a composite control which decided on its child
    control(s) based on the data source. Put it inside of the repeater, data
    bind it, and you're all set.

    John

    John Saunders, Oct 28, 2006