Can't do setuid and file permission denied

Chris

Thanks to Ingo for refering me to this group.

I'm a newbie with perl scripts and I'm having
problem running my copied script to my server. Can anybody who is
patient enough to help me with my problem?
I have a chpass.pl which is being executed by a change password web
utility page. This script tries to update a password on my linux
server /etc/shadow with a file permision rw------. my chpass.pl was
set to -rwsr-sr-x ,
with this file permission, I'm getting an error: Can't do setuid,
referer: http://.......
When I set the file permision of the chpass.pl to -rwsr-xr-x , I get
the error: file permision denied by the file /etc/shadow..
When I chmod 777 the /etc/shadow then everything works but I'm sure
its not safe to do that.. I cannot figure out how could I make this
work with the original file permission of the files shadow and
chpass.pl unchanged for I knew this was been working before with
another machine with almost a copycat of my server.

PLS..

Thanks...

Roy Johnson

Thanks to Ingo for refering me to this group.

Please tell Ingo that the correct group is
comp.lang.perl.misc
since this group is no longer a public group. You can also try
perl.beginners

You will get more responses from a public group. I can't answer your
questions, but I'm sure someone can in comp.lang.perl.misc. In the
meantime, it may help for you to take a look at
perldoc perlsec