capturing stdout and stderr?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Mike, Aug 9, 2009.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Morning,

    I'm asking where do I start my research, recommendations for a module
    or function. I'm not asking for code that does what I need.

    I have a need to start a command then read the command's stdout and
    stderr streams, capturing each line individually, prepending 'STDOUT:'
    or 'STDERR:' to the line depending on which stream the line came from,
    then writing the line to a central log file.

    In C I would fork(), exec(), then from the parent just use select()
    to grab each line that comes from the child.

    Is the same approach the simpleist way in Perl or should I look at
    IPC::Open3 or IPC::Run?

    This script needs to run on linux, HP-UX, Solaris, IRIX, Mac OS X,
    cygwin/win32, and cygwin/win64.

    Thanks for your thoughts.

    Mike

    Mike, Aug 9, 2009