comma quoted lists question

Peter J. Holzer

They will use the old XLS format, which should work just fine with Excel
2007. There is a Spreadsheet-WriteExcelXML class to write XLSX files, but
there doesn't seem to be a class that reads them yet. It should work just
fine, as long as your users don't try to convert your XML files to XLSX.

ITYM "convert your XLS files to XLSX". That might be a problem. If a
user opens an XLS file with Excel 2007, changes something and then saves
it, will the file be saved as an XLS file or an XLSX file? What if they
use "Save as" or use some feature which previous versions of Excel
didn't have?

hp

cartercc

This is the result, a management decision that I was informed of and
had no opportunnity to influence or even comment on.

The decision was ... drum roll ... All files shall henceforth be
passed as .txt files.

This was the result of people from the business school getting the ear
of administration and convincing them, since Microsoft Office is THE
office suite and Microsoft Access is THE database, all users should
import into and export from as text files. (I work for a large state
university, and academics tend to have more influence than anyone
including, it seems, on technical issues.)

My reaction? Suits the heck out of me as it as it completely solves my
problem. Some people have real heartburn with the decision but not me.

Thanks for all input. I still will play with creating and reading
Excel files, since we do so much using Excel.

CC