communication between jspBeans & servlets

Gary N.

Hi -

Do jspbeans and javaservlets have the ability to communicate with each
other? The bean and the servlet are in the same .war file.

Specifically, inside the servlet I need to be able to see the Bean data, but
communicating both directions would be nice too. If I send the data back
and forth through the JSP page, that will work, but it seems VERY
inefficient.

Suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

Gary

Wendy S

Gary N. said:
Do jspbeans and javaservlets have the ability to communicate with each
other? The bean and the servlet are in the same .war file.

I consider a "bean" to be a JavaBean-- just a container class with some
properties and get/set methods. As such, they don't really *do* anything
(such as communicate) they just *are*. JSPBean is not a term I'm familiar
with, do you have a link? (Enterprise JavaBeans are an entirely different
animal.)
Specifically, inside the servlet I need to be able to see the Bean data, but
communicating both directions would be nice too. If I send the data back
and forth through the JSP page, that will work, but it seems VERY
inefficient.

What typically happens is that you instantiate a bean in the Servlet code,
set a bunch of properties, [sometimes by reading from a database, or using
other helper classes to process data] then put the bean in request or
session scope and forward to a JSP which displays the data stored in the
bean.

HTH,