compiling python 2.5, missing zlib

mhearne808[insert-at-sign-here]gmail[insert-dot-he

I'm trying to compile Python 2.5 on a RHEL system, using "./
configure;make;make install". The build seems to go alright, but the
zlib module is missing.

I've tried the following:
1) Download and build the zlib libraries myself
2) Specify '--without-system-zlib' to ./configure

Neither seems to work. What am I missing here?

Thanks,

Mike

Martin v. Löwis

Neither seems to work. What am I missing here?

You forgot to install the zlib header files, which come in
an RPM provided by Redhat (probably called zlib-dev or some
such).

Regards,
Martin

mhearne808[insert-at-sign-here]gmail[insert-dot-he

You forgot to install the zlib header files, which come in
an RPM provided by Redhat (probably called zlib-dev or some
such).

Regards,
Martin

Those headers are already installed, according to "up2date". Is there
a way to specify the header files used?

--Mike

Martin v. Löwis

Those headers are already installed, according to "up2date". Is there
a way to specify the header files used?

It will automatically use them if they are good. What's the value of
ZLIB_VERSION in /usr/include/zlib.h?

Regards,
Martin

mhearne808[insert-at-sign-here]gmail[insert-dot-he

It will automatically use them if they are good. What's the value of
ZLIB_VERSION in /usr/include/zlib.h?

Regards,
Martin

I got my Python compile to work, by setting recompiling the zlib
source I downloaded with a --shared configure option.

Now I'm having trouble getting the Python MySQL module to install.
That'll be a separate post!

--Mike