"Concepts" were removed from C++0x

Ioannis Vranos

Rui said:
If someone wants develop using the functional programming paradigm then why shouldn't that person simply pick
up a functional programming language? I mean, where exactly is there a need to bolt on yet another feature to
an already highly complex programming language?

AFAIK, the Functional programming paradigm is *probably* a good approach (it makes it easy) for writing
multithreading programs without thread-sharing.

If it is proven to be an efficient approach, I see no reason why C++ should remain behind and do not adopt it.

But it is really soon for such a discussion.

--
Ioannis A. Vranos

C95 / C++03 Developer

http://www.cpp-software.net

Rui Maciel

Ioannis said:
AFAIK, the Functional programming paradigm is probably a good approach (it
makes it easy) for writing multithreading programs without thread-sharing.

Yes, and it may even have the potential of simplifying some mundane, frequent programming tasks. Yet, that
doesn't mean that all programming languages should support it.

If it is proven to be an efficient approach, I see no reason why C++
should remain behind and do not adopt it.

That's what I don't get. Why exactly is it a good idea to bolt support for yet another programming paradigm
onto C++? Isn't C++ complex enough as it is? In fact, when there is a need for functional programming,
wouldn't it be better to simply use one of the many functional programming languages to perform the tasks
where functional programming shines?

Rui Maciel

Ioannis Vranos

Rui said:
Yes, and it may even have the potential of simplifying some mundane, frequent programming tasks. Yet, that
doesn't mean that all programming languages should support it.

That's what I don't get. Why exactly is it a good idea to bolt support for yet another programming paradigm
onto C++? Isn't C++ complex enough as it is? In fact, when there is a need for functional programming,
wouldn't it be better to simply use one of the many functional programming languages to perform the tasks
where functional programming shines?

No paradigm is a perfect solution for all problems.

Check the section about "silver bullets" in the following article:

http://linux.sys-con.com/node/32929

So if a paradigm gets proven to be effective, it should be provided by a professional multiparadigm language
such as C++.

Of course, all the stuff you already know, will continue to apply.

--
Ioannis A. Vranos

C95 / C++03 Developer

http://www.cpp-software.net