configProtectionProvider not supported

Scott M.

When I encrypt/decrypt the connectionStrings section of my web.config file,
everything works well, but the actual connectionStrings element gets a new
attribute of configProtectionProvider, which the VS 2008 IDE flags as a
schema error and says that this attribute is not supported. Sure enough,
the intelliSense for that piece of markup doesn't show this attribute
either.

Again, everything works, but what gives with that attribute?

-Scott

Jeff Winn

Hey Scott,

It's just because Visual Studio uses XSD files to validate the XML for the
configuration. Since any configuration section theoretically could be
encrypted with any number of providers it was probably easier to just leave
it out. What you're seeing is perfectly normal, I wouldn't worry about it
any.

You can always fix it by modifying the appropriate XSD file the IDE uses to
validate the sections, but it isn't worth the effort imo.