Controlling Windows Media Player from Python

Jeffrey Barish

Is there a way to interact with Windows Media Player from Python? I would
like to be able to do things like tell WMP to play a given sound file or to
ask WMP for metadata about a sound file.

Avizoa

Jeffrey said:
Is there a way to interact with Windows Media Player from Python? I would
like to be able to do things like tell WMP to play a given sound file or to
ask WMP for metadata about a sound file.

The fact of the matter is that python doesn't need to ask WMP for the
metadata. Python can get the metadata from the file itself and then
tell the computer to play the file.

If you're looking to do something more complicated, try PyMedia or even
download wxPython and take a look at the examples. There's an embedded
WMP example.

By the way, someone has most likely made a module specifically for
reading the metadata from many types of music files, but I don't have
time to look. Maybe someone else can point you in the right direction.
For telling WMP to play the file you want one of the os.exec variants.

Lawrence Oluyede

Jeffrey Barish said:
Is there a way to interact with Windows Media Player from Python? I would
like to be able to do things like tell WMP to play a given sound file or to
ask WMP for metadata about a sound file.

Take a look at pywinauto, I attended the today talk at EP2006 and seemed
really cool. http://pywinauto.pbwiki.com

Roger Upole

Jeffrey Barish said:
Is there a way to interact with Windows Media Player from Python? I would
like to be able to do things like tell WMP to play a given sound file or to
ask WMP for metadata about a sound file.

WMP can be automated using COM:

import win32com.client

w=win32com.client.gencache.EnsureDispatch('WMPlayer.OCX',0)
pl=w.playlistCollection.getByName('All Music')[0]
s=pl[0]
print s.name, s.duration
w.currentMedia=s

Roger