convert .eml to .mbox in win32

Mike James

Hi, I'm working with some code I copied from here:
http://www.usethesource.com/articles/02/06/17/1957223.shtml

My system: WinXP Home, ActiveState Perl 5.6.1, operated by Perl newbie...

The script is supposed to descend into sub-folders, read *.eml messages,
then concatenate them into .mbox files. The problem is that the script
doesn't descend into the sub-folders. Instead, it only operates on the
files (and folders) in the folder where the script is located.

Here's the script for convert.pl:

sub convert
{
my ($file) = @_;
my $from = '';
my $date = '';
my $message = '';
my $stop_looking = 0;

open OE, "<$file";

while ()
{
my $line;
chomp;
$line = $_;

$message .= $_ . "\n";

if ( $stop_looking == 0 )
{
if ( $line =~ /(From:.*\<(.*)\>)/ )
{
$from = $2;
}
else
{
if ( $line =~ /(From: ([^\<]*))/ )
{
$from = $2;

if ( $line =~ /Date: (.*)/ )
{
$date = $1;

if ( $date =~ /(\w{3}), (\d+) (\w{3}) (\d{4}) (\d\d:
\d\d:\d\d)/ )
{
my ($dow, $day, $month, $year, $time) = ($1,
$2,$3,$4,$5);

if ( $day =~ /0(\d)/ )
{
$day = " $1";
}

$date = "$dow $month $day $time $year";

if ( $line =~ /X-UIDL:/ )
{
$message = "\n\nFrom $from $date\n" . $message;

$stop_looking = 1;

close OE;

return $message;
}

sub convert_folder
{
my ($folder) = @_;
my @files = glob "$folder/*.eml";

open MBOX, ">$folder.mbox";
foreach my $file (@files)
{
print "File $file...\n";
print MBOX convert( $file );
}
close MBOX;
}

my @folders = glob '*';
foreach my $folder (@folders)
{
print "Converting $folder...\n";
convert_folder( $folder );

Jonathan N. Little

shakespeare1 said:
Today, many users are facing troubles about how to convert messages from Windows Live Mail into Thunderbird. Conversion of Live Mail to Thunderbird is not easy task because both supports different email format. Windows Live Mail supports .eml format while Thunderbird supports MBOX format. Without any help of third party tool, Live Mail to Thunderbird conversion is not possible.

In this situation the EML to MBOX Converter is reliable solution to convert your mail messages from Windows 7 mail into Thunderbird, The software also allows you to open or view .eml files into .mbox format with complete emails data like - Mata data (To, Cc, Bcc, Date, Time, From), Attachments & attachment, Content style and Formatting, Image, Hyperlink, Sub-folders & Email folder etc. For more information view below link >> http://www.import-windows-live-mail-to-thunderbird.emltombox.org/
https://sites.google.com/site/emlin...advance-feature/howindows-mail-to-thunderbird

You can just drag and drop EML files directly into Thunderbird no
problem-o. Thunderbird could always import from Outlook and
OutlookExpress with no addons required, not sure about Windows Live
Mail, but if you export as EML Thunderbird has no problem with that
filetype.

Joined
Mar 15, 2024
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I suggest the best method to convert EML files to MBOX files is to try the BetaVare EML to MBOX Converter Tool. With this software, multiple EML files can be converted to Thunderbird files quickly. Support email clients like Apple Mail, Thunderbird, Evolution, Eudora, Entourage, Opera Mail, Spice Bird, and many more. This application is easy to use. Users can easily change multiple emails from EML to MBOX format with attachments because it is a 100% safe option. This software supports all Windows OS versions. Users can examine the software's test version for free.