Could zipfile module process the zip data in memory?

Guest

I made a C/S network program, the client receive the zip file from the
server, and read the data into a variable. how could I process the
zipfile directly without saving it into file.
In the document of the zipfile module, I note that it mentions the
file-like object? what does it mean?

class ZipFile( file[, mode[, compression[, allowZip64]]])
Open a ZIP file, where file can be either a path to a file (a
string) or a file-like object.

Thanks!

John Machin

I made a C/S network program, the client receive the zip file from the
server, and read the data into a variable. how could I process the
zipfile directly without saving it into file.
In the document of the zipfile module, I note that it mentions the
file-like object? what does it mean?

class ZipFile( file[, mode[, compression[, allowZip64]]])
Open a ZIP file, where file can be either a path to a file (a
string) or a file-like object.

A file-like object is an object that is not a file object, but behaves
like a file object. Instead of keeping the data on disk, it will use
Python objects (e.g. str or maybe array.array) or malloc its own
memory. Have a look at the StringIO module (pure Python) and the
similar but faster cStringIO module.

Regards,
John

Daniel Nogradi

I made a C/S network program, the client receive the zip file from the
server, and read the data into a variable. how could I process the
zipfile directly without saving it into file.
In the document of the zipfile module, I note that it mentions the
file-like object? what does it mean?

class ZipFile( file[, mode[, compression[, allowZip64]]])
Open a ZIP file, where file can be either a path to a file (a
string) or a file-like object.

Yes it is possible to process the content of the zipfile without
saving every file:

[untested]

from zipfile import ZipFile
from StringIO import StringIO

zipp = ZipFile( this_is_the_zip_file_from_your_server, 'r' )
for name in zipp.namelist( ):
content = zipp.read( name )
s = StringIO( )
s.write( content )
# now the file 'name' is in 's' (in memory)
# you can process it further
# ............
s.close( )
zipp.close( )

HTH,
Daniel

[...]

Maybe my poor english makes you confusion:). The client receive the
zip file data from the server, and keep these data as a variable, not
as a file in harddisk. such as "zipFileData", but the first argument
of the "ZipFile" is filename. I would like to let the ZipFile() open
the file from "zipFileData" directly but not file in harddisk

zipp = ZipFile( this_is_the_zip_file_from_your_server, 'r' )
^ I don't have this file, all its data
is in a variable.

Diez B. Roggisch

人言è½æ—¥æ˜¯å¤©æ¶¯ï¼Œæœ›æžå¤©æ¶¯ä¸è§å®¶ said:
[...]

You can use cStringIO for that as well. Read the module docs for it.

Diez

Daniel Nogradi

[...]

Well, as you correctly pointed out in your original post ZipFile can
receive a filename or a file-like object. If the zip archive data is
in zipFileData then you might do:

from StringIO import StringIO
from zipfile import ZipFile

data = StringIO( )
data.write( zipFileData )
data.close( )

zipp = ZipFile( data )

and continue in the same way as before.

[...]

Daniel- Hide quoted text -

Thanks all of your kindly help!

John Machin

[...]

Try something like this:

from zipfile import ZipFile
from StringIO import StringIO
filelikeobj = StringIO(zipFileData)
zipp = ZipFile(filelikeobj, 'r')
for name in zipp.namelist():
# etc etc etc

John Machin

[...]

Even if that worked, it would be a long-winded way to do it. Please
contemplate the docs:

"""getvalue( )

Retrieve the entire contents of the ``file'' at any time before the
StringIO object's close() method is called.[snip note re mixing str &
unicode]

close( )

Free the memory buffer. """

The short working way is: """class StringIO( [buffer])

When a StringIO object is created, it can be initialized to an
existing string by passing the string to the constructor."""