CPAN install failure - help?

ChiTownBob

I'm pretty much a newbie; used Perl very casually over the years, but
never got too deep. Right now I'm trying to convert my company's docs
into the Wikipedia format (MediaWiki), and I found a package
http://search.cpan.org/~diberri/HTML-WikiConverter-0.30/WikiConverter.pm
that promises to do that for HTML.

(btw, if someone has a better way to do this, regardless of whether it's
perl or not, *please* speak up).

Anyway, CPAN fails to install it, and I am clueless as to why. Here's
the relevant part of the output:

HTML-WikiConverter-0.30/README Removing previously used
\.cpan\build\HTML-WikiConverter-0.30 CPAN.pm: Going to build
D/DI/DIBERRI/HTML-WikiConverter-0.30.tar.gz

Checking if your kit is complete...

Looks good

Writing Makefile for HTML::WikiConverter
-- OK
Running make test

'test' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable
program or batch file.

test -- NOT OK

Running make install

make test had returned bad status, won't install without force
=============================

I've tried going back in and saying "force install HTML::WikiConverter"
but that just fails in the same way. This is all on Windows XP. Help?
Bob

A. Sinan Unur

[...]

I am not sure which Perl distribution you are using. Unless you are
using cygwin, you very likely do not have the proper tools to compile
Perl modules from scratch.

Now, the good news is that the module does not seem to contain any XS
code, so you don't really need a C compiler.

Just extraction the files from the archive, and manually copying the
files to the appropriate locations should work. That is:

c:\Perl\site\lib\HTML\WikiConverter.pm
c:\Perl\site\lib\HTML\WikiConverter\DocuWiki.pm
.... etc
bin\html2wiki => c:\Perl\bin\html2wiki.pl

assuming you have vanilla AS Perl installation in C:\Perl

Or, you can put the files in a separate location, and then put a use lib
in your scripts.

See perldoc -q lib

Sinan

ChiTownBob

A. Sinan Unur said:
I am not sure which Perl distribution you are using. Unless you are
using cygwin, you very likely do not have the proper tools to compile
Perl modules from scratch.

Now, the good news is that the module does not seem to contain any XS
code, so you don't really need a C compiler.

Just extraction the files from the archive, and manually copying the
files to the appropriate locations should work. That is:

c:\Perl\site\lib\HTML\WikiConverter.pm
c:\Perl\site\lib\HTML\WikiConverter\DocuWiki.pm
... etc
bin\html2wiki => c:\Perl\bin\html2wiki.pl

assuming you have vanilla AS Perl installation in C:\Perl

Or, you can put the files in a separate location, and then put a use lib
in your scripts.

See perldoc -q lib

Sinan

thanks to Sinan and Abigail for the extremely quick response. Re
Abigail's question, no, I didn't have make.ext in my DOS environment,
but I do have Cygwin installed. Running it in Cygwin got much, much
farther, but it still failed in many horrible ways, deep inside the
dependencies. (I tried capturing the output to a file, but it just hung
and the errors didn't make it to the output file.)

I did do what Sinan suggested, and html2wiki is working now! (as I
said, I'm pretty much a Perl neophyte.) So thanks again.

Interestingly enough, I've also got Fedora Core 3 on another machine,
and on that one, once I su'ed to root, the install worked the first time.

Bob