Cross domain scripting with xmlhttp

Randy Webb

VA said the following on 12/12/2005 6:47 PM:
Thomas: You are obviously a brilliant and helpful person,

That is very debateable.
why do you have to be such a holier-than-thou PIA?

Because he knows no better yet. He thinks it makes him look smart or
something but it doesn't.
I am giving you the gist of the error message. How does it matter what
my actual server names are?

It doesn't, it just gives him something else to be pedantic about.
Tried what? What you suggested, of course.

Naturally. But it is always a good idea to quote what you are replying to.

Have the page request the resource from its own server. Then have the
server request it from serverB then return it to the browser.

VA

Randy said:
Have the page request the resource from its own server. Then have the
server request it from serverB then return it to the browser.

Unfortunately, I cannot do this. The resource I am requesting (a
webservice) requires NTLM authentication and the webserver my browser
is talking to doesn't have the necessary credentials to get that NTLM
resource. The request has to come directly from my browser to ServerB.
Hence my quest to get this darn cross-domain scripting working with
XMLHTTP.

All the various techniques we discussed in this thread and in other
threads on the Internet work fine with IE, but no matter what I do,
Firefox refuses to allow this kind of thing!

I guess Firefox does the NTLM negotiation (4-way handshake stuff) fine
with URLs requested interactively from the location bar and as part of
user-initiated browsing activity, but for XMLHTTP, it gives up at the
first HTTP 401 it receives (it does not respond with the
WWW-Authenticate, blah, blah handshake). Sigh, I give up.

I guess I am going to have to advertise this feature in my application
as a "IE only" feature and leave it at that.

Thanks