CSP Could Not Be Found

Dave Davidson

I just modified my web.config to impersonate a local
Windows account and am getting the error below when
navigating to a page. We have a Development network where
my impersonation works great - the errors occurred on our
Test domain. I've already uninstalled and reinstalled
the .NET Framework. One difference between the servers is
that the Test server runs Certificate Services. Any ideas
would be appreciated. Thanks.

Cryptographic service provider (CSP) could not be found
for this algorithm.
execution of the current web request. Please review the
stack trace for more information about the error and where
it originated in the code.

Exception Details:
System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicException:
Cryptographic service provider (CSP) could not be found
for this algorithm.

Stack Trace:

[CryptographicException: Cryptographic service provider
(CSP) could not be found for this algorithm.]
System.Security.Cryptography.DESCryptoServiceProvider..ctor
() +239

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework
Version:1.1.4322.573; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.573

Dave Davidson

Thanks for the reply, but that doesn't seem to be the
problem. The post you reference (which contains a dead
link) talks about the fact that the service may not be
installed. I know the cryptographic service is installed
because it comes with the .NET Framework 1.1 and because
we use it in our code-behind and it works great. The
error states that the system cannot find the
DESCryptoServiceProvider and that's the same exact
provider we use in our code-behind. The error appears
only when I attempt to impersonate a Windows account by
adding the impersonate entry to the web.config file.