Custom SiteMapProvider.

ashish

hello ,

I am implementing a custom site map provider to display the bread crumb
control on all the navigation pages on my site.
My site's navigation possibly consists of hundreds nested of categories
and products, and i don't want to create and store the whole catalog in
the site map.

I think in my case it would be cheaper to just dynamically create the
site map structure relevant to the current request and return the whole
tree..

I have tried to override SiteMapResolve event, but doesn't seem like i
was on the right track, because the mapresolve event fires for just one
node, and i cannot return the whole navigation tree

wondering if someone has faced similar problem, or some possible pointers...

thanks in advance

Guest

Jeff Prosise has a nice implementation of a SQL Server SiteMap provider in a
recent MSDN Magazine article, which you can find on MSDN Online.
Peter

ashish

Peter,
i went through the article by jeff Prosise, but it seems the whole site
map from the database would be kept in memory for the life of application.
i want to avoid this scenario, because the site map can become very
large, and it would be cheaper for me to query the data on every request
, rather than build it all up at once.

any other ideas ?

thanks

Guest

Because our top-level menu changes infrequently, we combined
XmlSiteMapProvider with a custom provider that loads from database the links
for an attribute "Category" param specified in config file for each instance
of custom provider.

Our custom provider does not inherit from staticSiteMapProvider, instead the
data is cached using ASP.NET caching based on user id.

APB