debugging in asp.net

powerranger

I have an ASP.NET web application on a virtual directory that is set
to require SSL. After making the settings in IIS I try to debug from
VS.NET and I get a message that the project is not configured to
debug. However, the project has all the settings and I can debug it if
I remove the SSL requirement. How can I debug a project that where the
virtual directory is set to require SSL?

Craig Deelsnyder

I have an ASP.NET web application on a virtual directory that is set
to require SSL. After making the settings in IIS I try to debug from
VS.NET and I get a message that the project is not configured to
debug. However, the project has all the settings and I can debug it if
I remove the SSL requirement. How can I debug a project that where the
virtual directory is set to require SSL?

the problem is pry that vs.net is launching the app as localhost (port
80), so it fails starting up. You can either try just attaching to the
aspnet process (thru the Debug -> Processes menu) and then browse to
your app manually in IE, etc.; or, you can look at the project
properties, there's a section under Debugging -> Start Action. Check
the Debug Mode and Start URL and see if you can set the startup to use
localhost:443 (Debug Mode = URL) instead. (NOTE I was looking at a C#
project, so I hope the same properties are there for a VB.NET project,
if that's what you're using)

Hopefully one of these will work....pure conjecture on my part, tho...

John Lee

Thanks for your reply. Right, if I open the solution that contains that
project it says that the project is not available. If I looked in the
IIS, I can see it but I cannot open the project using VS.Net. Please
help!!!

ramesh yadav

Why are you using SSL on your development environment? Is there any specific
SSL or encryption details you need to access or test, I doubt it as SSL is
an encyption process over HTTP and not within your app.

The "DEBUG" verb is sent to IIS to allow VS.Net to attach and debug. SSL
automatically refuses the DEBUG verb!

We have a system deployed using SSL that has gone "live". Developers used a
normal virtual directory (port 80) on their desktops and then deployed to
secure "live server", after it was tested and debugged locally.

Can you not do this instead?

One thing you may want to check ar your certificates, are these installed on
your machine and valid.