Detect dot net framework from VB6

PeterH

I wish to determine whether the machine that is running my VB6 program
has the .Net Framework installed and, if so, which version. I presume
there may be some registry keys I can inspect to determine this, but
which ones? Can anybody help?

Peter

kahtava

I don't know what registry keys are related to the .NET framework, but
you could use a program to monitor the registry when the .NET framework
is installed.

Active Registry works well: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/aregmon.html
Regmon also works well.

I used both programs while developing MS XP Embedded modules..

Another alternative would be to look at the
Windows\System\Microsoft.NET directories instead.

PeterH

Yes, thanks.

My application is the CD Browser front end to an installation CD, so I
need to know about any .Net Framework that has already been installed,
not one that is installed after my application.

Peter

kahtava

Perhaps that last post was a little unclear.. I'll try again.

When the .NET Framework is installed, it generally installed in the
same directory (based on the operating system).

So by searching through the "Windows\System\Microsoft.NET" directories
you can see which versions of the framework have been installed.

Now you can program your VB app to programmatically search through this
directory for the installed versions.

Similarly; if you wanted to know which registries are added / modified
(if any) after the .NET Framework has been installed.
Then install the .NET Framework while monitoring the registry (you only
do this once on your working machine), by monitoring the registry as
you install the .NET Framework you will see which registry keys have
been added / modified.

After this process you will know which registry keys are added /
modified when the .NET Framework has been installed.

Now you can program your VB app to programmatically check those
registries.

Ken Halter

PeterH said:
Yes, thanks.

My application is the CD Browser front end to an installation CD, so I
need to know about any .Net Framework that has already been installed,
not one that is installed after my application.

Peter

Hopefully, you're only using VB6's intrinsic controls and libraries because
there's no guarantee that they're even installed on an end users PC. Quite a
few people (not including me <g>) keep VB3 around specifically because of
this.