Detupleize a tuple for argument list

Marco Wahl

Hi,

I want to give a tuple to a function where the function
expects the respective tuple-size number of arguments.

The following session illustrates what I want to do and
the respective failure.

Python 2.4.1 (#7, Aug 3 2005, 14:55:58)
[GCC 3.3.1 (SuSE Linux)] on linux2
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information. Traceback (most recent call last):

One way to do what I want is--of course--to call
foo(t[0], t[1]). My actual question is if there is a
smarter way to do it.

The situation for me is that I take the functions from
a library that I cannot modify. On the other side in
my code I use the tuples.

Best wishes

Sybren Stuvel

Marco Wahl enlightened us with:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
TypeError: foo() takes exactly 2 arguments (1 given)

Call foo(*t)

Sybren

Luke Plant

Marco said:
Hi,

I want to give a tuple to a function where the function
expects the respective tuple-size number of arguments. ....
One way to do what I want is--of course--to call
foo(t[0], t[1]). My actual question is if there is a
smarter way to do it.

Yes, just this:

foo(*t)

Luke

Steven D'Aprano

Hi,

I want to give a tuple to a function where the function
expects the respective tuple-size number of arguments.

The following session illustrates what I want to do and
the respective failure.

Python 2.4.1 (#7, Aug 3 2005, 14:55:58)
[GCC 3.3.1 (SuSE Linux)] on linux2
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
TypeError: foo() takes exactly 2 arguments (1 given)

Easy: foo(*t)

Marco Wahl

Marco Wahl enlightened us with:

Call foo(*t)

Thank you very much Luke Plant, Steven D'Aprano and Sybren Stuvel.

This was exactly what I was looking for. I'm happy now. ;-)

Bruno Desthuilliers

Marco said:
Thank you very much Luke Plant, Steven D'Aprano and Sybren Stuvel.

This was exactly what I was looking for. I'm happy now. ;-)
FWIW, there's something similar for dicts and named args: