Display image based on upcoming holiday

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <[email protected]>, dated Tue, 3 Jan
2006 13:36:52 local, seen in Randy Webb
Dr John Stockton said the following on 1/2/2006 9:46 AM:

OK, substitute the word Rhamadan for Christmas. The point is the same,
you just avoided it.

Does the US really spell Ramadan like that? I've not noticed it in the
NYT extracts that I get involuntarily.

Ramadan will be important to Israelis; they share their land with
Muslims, as you may have heard. The Jews will not wish to celebrate it;
but they will wish to know when it happens (and predicting the month of
Ramadan on the Hebrew Calendar will be non-trivial).

It's also significant to tens of thousands of Koreans, whose local
ironmonger is quite frequently closed during Ramadan.

You seem to share the common US delusion of being able to speak and
write English.

Jim, Mick : "Pereant, inquit, qui ante nos nostra dixerunt." !

VK

Dr said:
Does the US really spell Ramadan like that?

Actually on place of <d> in "Ramadan" there is Arabic letter
representing a sound between English <th> in "the" and English <th> in
"Earth" (closer to the second one). Think of a German speaking good
English but still with a small accent - what would be nearly perfect
analogy (no offence to Germans - just an example).

So as close as possible spelling would actually be "Ramathan"; and this
is why in some languages this holiday spelled as "Ramazan".
You seem to share the common US delusion
of being able to speak and write English.

Illusions (not delisions) sweet up the life. :)
But many people (including myself) like good British accent.

P.S. So much about Halloween. :)
P.P.S. And no, I'm not Arab but I was working with Arab students.

Randy Webb

Dr John Stockton said the following on 1/4/2006 12:39 PM:
JRS: In article <[email protected]>, dated Tue, 3 Jan
2006 13:36:52 local, seen in Randy Webb

Does the US really spell Ramadan like that? I've not noticed it in the
NYT extracts that I get involuntarily.

Your pedantics get old John. And you are becoming extremely predictable.
You get corrected and you can't handle it so you either attack the
poster or you avoid the subject entirely.

Spell it as you wish. To be technically correct, there are three
translations of the word into English. You have two of the spellings, if
you want the third then spend some time searching for it. I am sure you
can find it.
Ramadan will be important to Israelis; they share their land with
Muslims, as you may have heard. The Jews will not wish to celebrate it;
but they will wish to know when it happens (and predicting the month of
Ramadan on the Hebrew Calendar will be non-trivial).

And what exactly does this have to do with you being wrong? Nothing.
It's also significant to tens of thousands of Koreans, whose local
ironmonger is quite frequently closed during Ramadan.

As it is to many non-Koreans. Again, what does this have to do with this
thread? Nothing.
You seem to share the common US delusion of being able to speak and
write English.

Ahhh, there is your typical ad hominem attack that you resort to when
you are wrong and don't want to admit it. That's fine. I can rest at
night knowing that if it were not for those "non English speaking
Americans" that you hate so much, you would be speaking German and we
wouldn't be having this conversation.

mick white

Dr John Stockton wrote:
You seem to share the common US delusion of being able to speak and
write English.

Jim, Mick : "Pereant, inquit, qui ante nos nostra dixerunt." !
“Pereant", inquit, "qui ante nos nostra dixerunt.”
[Confound those who have said our bright remarks before us.]
—Aelius Donatus

Mick

Tim Slattery

Dr John Stockton said:
The Anniversary of the Battle of the Boyne is July 12th, and provides a
holiday only in Northern Ireland.

And only for the protestants. The Catholics detest this anniversary.

John W. Kennedy

Dr said:
Does the US really spell Ramadan ["Rhamadan"]?

Never in my experience, and as far as I know, there is no "rh" in Arabic
to justify it.

--
John W. Kennedy
"But now is a new thing which is very old--

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <[email protected]>, dated
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 19:08:44 local, seen in mick
white said:
Dr John Stockton wrote:
You seem to share the common US delusion of being able to speak and
write English.
Jim, Mick : "Pereant, inquit, qui ante nos nostra dixerunt." !
“Pereant", inquit, "qui ante nos nostra dixerunt.”
[Confound those who have said our bright remarks before us.]
—Aelius Donatus

The punctuation no doubt depends on which printed source you use. The
Ancients did not use our punctuation. There's also the question of
whether you use the originator's version or the more commonly-cited
ancient citation.

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <[email protected]>, dated
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 16:19:05 local, seen in Tim
Slattery said:
And only for the protestants. The Catholics detest this anniversary.

The holiday is provided for all; it would no doubt be contrary to anti-
discrimination principles to offer a holiday only to protestants, or
even only to non-Catholics.

But I don't think many of the Catholics would insist, if job
circumstances permitted it, on working on that day; they seem to prefer
to use their free time to express that detestation more publicly.