Do framesets work in asp.net?

Aaron

I have created five aspx pages, with a panel and controls on each. I would
like to create a frameset, and include each of these pages.

When I add new item...frameset and then set my pages, I get a parser error
in the frame indicating:
"could not load type WebBizDev.Dashboard"
the error is on line one and the line is as follows:
Codebehind="Dashboard.aspx.vb" Inherits="WebBizDev.Dashboard"%>

This happens for all of the pages I try to set. What is going on here? Is
there a different way I should approach this?

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

I suggest you stay away from frames in ASP.NET.
They can be quite cumbersome.
Instead I suggest you divide logical sections of your page into user
controls.

Bob Moore

I suggest you stay away from frames in ASP.NET.
They can be quite cumbersome.

What's the problem with frames? we'll be looking at a prototype port
to an ASP.Net environment in the next few months, and the most obvious
solution to matching our thick client UI was frames. I would be very
disappointed to hear that ASP had issues with them.

--
Bob Moore
http://bobmoore.mvps.org/

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

It can be done, but it's not easy. You'll need to use a lot of client side
javascript to pass data around and keep pages in various frames in sync. In
most cases it's better to have everything on one page, but divide sections
into separate user controls so it's more object oriented, maintainable, and
reusable.
A notable exception is MSDN's library web site which has good reason to have
a separate frame to hold the huge, bandwidth hogging treeview.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP