dotNet Version Query

David Baxter

Hi all,

Whenever I do an XP install, I tend to install all the dotnet stuff. I
have the various redistributables so I don't need to rely on Widnwos Update.

dotNet Framework v1
dotNet SP1 for v1
dotNet Framework v2
dotNet Framework v3

Aside from the ATi Catalyst Center and a couple of smaller apps, I don't
think I use dotNet much. I certainly don't develop any applications. The
only reason I install them all is because I like getting all the Windows
Updates, and the various versions of dotNet are listed there.

Question - do I need all the dotNet versions. Are they backwards
compatible with each other, so I only need to install v3, and if so, why
does WU list them all if I have the latest installed.

Additional question - why does Windows Update show dotNet Framework v3
as a download if I've already installed it from the redist. and restarted?

Thanks!

Dave

darrel

Question - do I need all the dotNet versions. Are they backwards
compatible with each other, so I only need to install v3, and if so, why
does WU list them all if I have the latest installed.

1.1 and 2 run side-by-side. You'll need them both if you want to run 1.1 and
2.0 applications.

3.0 is really just an add-on to 2.0

-Darrel