Dr. Dobb's Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (Dec 2)

A.M. Kuchling

A little more effort could present the referrer page with clickable
paragraphs and other elements, to zoom in to what the commenter
wants to comment on. And an automatic diff could be prepared for
editors, and the submitted info could go in a structured file for
automated secure web access by editors to ease review and presumably
sometimes pretty automatic docs update. Adherence to submission
guidelines could be enforced somewhat by form checks etc.

"A *little* more effort"? This is obviously some strange new
definition of "little". I'd love to see such a system, but it would
be a significant effort to build such a system, and the Python
developers do not have the spare manpower to do it. It would be a
great volunteer project for someone to undertake, but I don't think
Fred Drake or anyone else has the spare CPU cycles to work on it.

--amk

A.M. Kuchling

It's a relatively recent phenomenon that maintainers go berzerk, foaming
at the mouth over forms, borders, colors, and various other mania! :)

It's largely to ensure that the ideas aren't lost. E-mail sits around
in an inbox until it gets deliberately deleted or gets lost in a disk
crash or system upgrade gone wrong. Usenet posts fall out of the news
spool and get buried in Google's archives.

For example, here are the oldest messages in my mailbox:

1 Mar 24 Whitesell, Ken (3.5K) [PyCON-Organizers] Feedback from a first-
2 Mar 28 Martin Maney (1.4K) Improving "The Python DB-API interface"
3 T Mar 28 MW Mike Weiner (1.0K) RE: [Pycon2005-attendees] Found items
4 + Mar 28 Mark Wittner (0.8K) *¬>
5 + Mar 29 Anna Ravenscrof (0.9K) >
6 s+ Mar 28 David Goodger (1.4K) Re: Q. about Emacs on MacOS
7 + Apr 04 Neal Norwitz (250K) Re: PyCon treasury question
8 Apr 28 Thorsten Leemhu (0.7K) python-crypto RIPEMD160 and SHA256 not 64
9 + May 01 nemir nemiria (0.4K) regular expression how-to suggestion.
10 May 07 Brian Hook (0.3K) pycrypto
11 May 23 John Lambert (W (3.7K) python howto: regular expressions - issue
12 T Jun 01 Tim Parkin (2.5K) pydotorg redesign
13 T Jun 02 Neal Norwitz (2.3K) Re: [Python-Dev] Vestigial code in thread
14 + Jun 09 Jacob Rus (0.5K) python regular expression howto
15 Jun 17 Zed Lopez (0.5K) [pct] decrypting a ciphertext with an RSA
16 Jun 21 Skip Montanaro (1.3K) Re: [Pydotorg] Python Homepage: possible
17 Jun 27 Osvaldo Santana (0.7K) [marketing-python] Python Powered in Core
18 + Jul 09 Martin Kirst (0.3K) pycrypto pre build binaries for windows,
19 Jul 10 Jeff Rush (0.9K) [PyCON-Organizers] Two Good Developments
20 Jul 13 (e-mail address removed) (2.5K) Re: [Quixote-users] Quixote 2 Docs
21 T Jul 15 Nick Jacobson (0.4K) py3k

#2 from Martin Maney is a suggestion about a web page I have on the DB-API.
#8 is a pycrypto bug report; I think the bug is fixed now, but would have
to check.
#9 and #11 are suggestions for the regex HOWTO.
#10, #15, #18 could be suggestions, bug reports, or questions; hope
they're not questions or bugs, because the chance of them being
answered is zero at this point.

You may suggest that I should process my e-mail more promptly. True,
but that's very hard; there's always newer e-mail coming in. Do less?
I'd love to, but that doesn't seem to be a viable option.

I could just delete all this mail, but I still have the hope of
someday doing a rewrite pass on, say, the regex howto, going through
all the suggestions and making some changes accordingly. I am,
however, drifting toward the Linus Torvalds approach of mail handling:
delete messages after six months. If the message was important,
they'll resend it. A pity that it means Martin's suggestions, and
Thorsten's bug, and Nemir's suggestion, get discarded.

This is why things need to go into public trackers, or wiki pages.
There, at least their content is available to someone else; if
someday, someone else does a new regex howto, they could use the
suggestions and patches that have accumulated over time.

--amk

Aahz

I didn't said it was 100% reliable, but in most of the technical groups
there sure seemed to be a good correlation beetween "screen names" and
kooks/trolls.

My point is that I do not think the correlation has changed
significantly over the last fifteen years that I've been observing.
There is still a moderate correlation between screen names and trollish
behavior (just as there was historically); there is still a high enough
chance that people are using a screen name for reasons that have nothing
to do with trollishness that it should never be used as a primary reason
for selecting or rejecting posts from a person (just as it always was
historically). For that matter, I have no evidence that your name is
Grant Edwards. If I really cared, I could find people I know in
Minneapolis to look you up...

IOW, it just makes sense to me to skip the whole name issue and simply
respond to people's posts (for some strange reason, I have a vested
interest ;-).

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Fran=E7ois?= Pinard

[A.M. Kuchling]
On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 00:05:38 -0500,
It's largely to ensure that the ideas aren't lost. E-mail sits around
in an inbox until it gets deliberately deleted or gets lost in a disk
crash or system upgrade gone wrong.

Or sorted properly by the recipient, the way he sees best fit, in the
tracker of his own choice.

I know I'm repeating myself, but my point just does not seem to get
through. The maintainer should manage his way as a grown up, instead of
expecting the world to learn his ways and manage in his place.
You may suggest that I should process my e-mail more promptly.

No, I'm not suggesting you how to work, no more that I would accept that
you force me into working your way. If any of us wants to force the
other to speak through robots, that one is not far from unspeakable...
If the message was important, they'll resend it.

This is despising contributions. If someone sends me a message which
I find important, I do take means so that message does not get lost, and
that it will even suvive me for some while.
This is why things need to go into public trackers, or wiki pages.

Whatever means the maintainer wants to fill his preservation needs, he
is free to use them. The problem arises when the maintainer wants
imposing his own work methods on others. Let contributors be merely
contributors, and learn how to recognise contributions as such and say
thank you, instead of trying to turn contributors into maintainers.

Paul Rubin

François Pinard said:
No, I'm not suggesting you how to work, no more that I would accept
that you force me into working your way. If any of us wants to force
the other to speak through robots, that one is not far from
unspeakable...

In the old days, it was possible to post stuff to Python's sourceforge
pages without logging in. That was turned off for various reasons
that weren't bogus, but that didn't strike me as overwhelmingly
compelling. Maybe that could be revisited, at least for the category
of documentation bugs and patches.

Steve Holden

François Pinard said:
[A.M. Kuchling]
On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 00:05:38 -0500,

[...]

François, you talk of "the maintainer" as though each piece of code is
owned by a single individual. In Python's case this is far from the truth.

So, what you say *seems* to equate to "If there's a problem with Python
that I think should be fixed, I should be able to mail the person I
suspect is most likely to maintain that code, and they should be obliged
to log the bug or enhancement request in the tracking system".

There's also a philosophical question here about who is helping who. One
might choose to believe that the contributor is assisting the developer,
by pointing out a defect in the developer's code. One might
alternatively regard the contributor as a supplicant, who needs the
assistance of the developer to get a problem fixed. Finally one might
regard the contributor (who benefits from having Python available) and
the developer (who gets the kudos of having developed something "cool")
to be members of a community, prepared to collaborate to achieve
something that benefits them both.

In the real world people's opinions will have all kinds of other shades
as well, of course, but as far as *I'm* concerned, if the developers say
"please contribute bug reports through Sourceforge" then I am happy to
do so to make sure they don't fall between the cracks and get lost. YMMV.

Obviously the developers are in charge here, but I really don't see how
putting more load on them by requiring them to collectively be the only
sources of bug input to the tracking system will help get more work out
of them.

If you wanted to build a better tracking system than the one on
SourceForge I could certainly support that, but historically there
hasn't been much volunteer effort available to switch to something like
Roundup which might be preferred.

regards
Steve

Steven D'Aprano

Well, that might be asking a bit too much of the programmers, who
perhaps don't exactly enjoy mucking about in the lowlands of English
grammar and syntax.

Oh come on now! For the kinds of minds who enjoy obfuscated C or Perl,
English is just par for the course.

One of my favourite examples of obfuscated English is this grammatically
correct sentence:

"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."

And they say English is a hard language to understand :)

On the other hand, for programmers who don't like obfuscated anything,
English can be as precise and elegant as anything in Lisp or Python. Treat
English as a programming language: learn the rules of syntax and grammar,
and read examples of master writers to learn the best idioms, and you
can't go wrong.

But if you try to learn English from Usenet... *shudders*

Fredrik Lundh

Steven said:
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."

Did you mean: Badger badger Badger badger badger badger Badger badger Mushroom! Mushroom!

</F>

Steven D'Aprano

If one is required to buy a book to use free software,

One is *not* required to buy a book to use free software. It isn't
compulsory.
it is not really free, is it?

What part of "you may use this FREE software for FREE" is too difficult
for you to understand?

If you want to calculate the total cost of ownership for (say) using
Python, then by all means include the cost of labour, electricity to run
your computer, depreciation on that computer, courses to learn how to
program, etc. All these are valid costs.

But none of them are the cost of Python, which is free. It really isn't a
scam, nobody is going to come knocking at your door with a surprise bill
for using Python.

skip

François> Whatever means the maintainer wants to fill his preservation
François> needs, he is free to use them. The problem arises when the
François> maintainer wants imposing his own work methods on others.

François, that's not it at all. It's not our fault that SF doesn't support
email-based tracker interaction. It's our fault that we chose SF, but it
was the best overall choice at the time (there were more considerations than
just bug tracking) and now we're sort of stuck with it because for a number
of reasons we've been unable to move away from it.

Here's the scenario we have to use today to collect emailed requests and put
them in SF:

* Kind user notices a problem and posts a message somewhere, maybe to c..l.py
or to another Python-related list or by direct email to a developer.

* Someone - maybe nobody, but maybe more than one person - notices the
request and thinks, "better add that to SF so it doesn't get lost".

* That person visits SF and submits a ticket.

Now, consider some of the problems this scheme is fraught with:

* Maybe nobody notices it at all. It might have been buried deep in another
thread that no Python developer happened to read in its entirety. Bummer.
It's been lost until the next time someone notices and posts a similar
request.

* Maybe more than one person notices. Bummer. Now we have duplicates.
Worse yet, some might have been posted as feature requests, some as bug
reports. It also may not be obvious that they are duplicate without
careful checking.

* The multiple reports might contain different useful perspectives on the
problem. Bummer. SF doesn't allow you to easily merge two requests. You
have to manually transfer the information from one to the other and close
the one.

* Maybe the original post generates further responses in that venue that
would have been useful to have with the original report. Most will
probably never find their way to the tracker. Bummer. They got lost..

* Maybe the original requester's email gets missed in the process (or the
problem isn't addressed immediately and the user has discarded the
original address because it's spammed so heavily and moved on to a new
one) and the Python developers need more info but they can't contact the
requester. Bummer. The problem isn't adequately addressed.

* Finally, instead of one person spending a couple minutes submitting a
report, several people will have spent their volunteer time, and there's a
good chance that the report is not any better (perhaps even worse) than if
the original requester had simply submitted the request directly to SF.

I know, we have to take these steps occasion. When bug reports have to be
moved from another tracker to the Python tracker some of these issues arise.
We've incorportated bug reports from the Debian bug tracker that way and
have migrated python-mode requests from the Python project to the
python-mode project (both on SF). It can be a pain.

The Python developers are not being lazy. I would love it if there was an
email interaction mode with the SF trackers, but there isn't. I'll repeat
what I wrote yesterday in response to an earlier message in this thread:

I wish either a) SourceForge supported email interaction with their
trackers or b) someone would finish off the Roundup issue tracker
<http://roundup.sourceforge.net/> for python.org. I doubt if anyone
here can do anything about the first barrier, but if you know something
about Roundup (or would like to learn about it) and would like to
contribute something non-documentational that would really have a
direct, positive impact on the Python community, send a note to
(e-mail address removed).

Skip

Simon Brunning

But none of them are the cost of Python, which is free. It really isn't a
scam, nobody is going to come knocking at your door with a surprise bill
for using Python.

Well, there is the PSU's "Spanish Inquisition" division. Last week
they barged into my office, quite unexpectedly, armed with cushions
and

Jon Perez

Tony said:
This makes no sense. If you want to complain about Python, try a
Perl list. Why would a list dedicated to discussion about/help with
a language need complaints about the language?

Huh?!? Usually people complain because they need help or feel
that things can be improved.
You might want to consider the difference between complaining and
constructive criticism and suggestions, and which are likely to get
better responses.

In the case of programming languages, I don't see any real difference
between something being a 'constructive criticism' and a 'complaint'.

Why, oh why, do so many programmers insist on elevating software tools
they are using to the status of a *religion* such that they feel personally
offended when someone badmouths the language or tool they are using???

Anyone can badmouth Python and things associated with all they want, the
only time it would even begin to bother me is only if these were false
accusations or there is a dishonest agenda behind it.

If the complaints are untrue, then I'd just be laughing at others'
ignorance, not be offended by it. If it is an honest complaint
arising out of personal experience with the language, then certainly
there is a need to examine what can be improved.

I generally don't see any need to feel uncomfortable with strident
whining against Python because the only thing being attacked here is a
software tool, not persons.

Christopher Subich

Fredrik said:
Steven D'Aprano wrote:

Did you mean: Badger badger Badger badger badger badger Badger badger Mushroom! Mushroom!

Thank you, I really needed that stuck in my head. :)

Grant Edwards

Oh come on now! For the kinds of minds who enjoy obfuscated C or Perl,
English is just par for the course.

One of my favourite examples of obfuscated English is this grammatically
correct sentence:

"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."

Why the goofy-looking capitalization? Are the 2nd and 3rd
occurances of "Buffalo" referring to the city?

Alex Martelli

Steven D'Aprano said:
Oh come on now! For the kinds of minds who enjoy obfuscated C or Perl,
English is just par for the course.

As it happens, there appears to be pretty weak correlation between
proficiency in programming and proficiency in writing -- SOME excellent
programmers are great writers too, but, I would guess, just roughly the
same percentage as in the general popularion (i.e., deucedly few).

Alex

Jon Perez

FWIW I find Python's docs to be OK at best, with some horrible
parts, and a lot of mediochre to poor parts.

I myself have no big beef about Python's docs, but you're certainly
not the first one to complain about them. Xah Lee rants very
heavily against the quality against Python's docs and considers
many sections of it as written in a manner more to show-off one's
knowledge of jargon rather than to explain things properly.

I don't really notice that but this could be because I'm already
quite comfortable with jargon at the level it is used in the
Python docs (or maybe I'm one of those highfalutin' chaps as well
;-D). Seriously though, sometimes jargon is necessary in order to
put across a point concisely and accurately so its use cannot always
be considered gratuitous.

The only problem I have with Python docs is that for most of
the the standard library API documentation, the function calls
are not organized very well (i.e. I don't believe they are
alphabetized or ordered in any intutive manner).

Steven D'Aprano

As it happens, there appears to be pretty weak correlation between
proficiency in programming and proficiency in writing -- SOME excellent
programmers are great writers too, but, I would guess, just roughly the
same percentage as in the general popularion (i.e., deucedly few).

If you know any links to real research on this, I'd love to learn more.
I'm always amazed and perplexed at how hot-shot programmers who would
never forget a colon or a brace can be so slap-dash about using proper
punctuation and grammar in English.

Steven D'Aprano

Why the goofy-looking capitalization? Are the 2nd and 3rd
occurances of "Buffalo" referring to the city?

The punctuation is important. Yes, they refer to the city.

(Which reminds me of the old joke about capitalisation being the
difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off a horse" and "I helped my
Uncle jack off a horse".)

For those who don't know, "buffalo" is also a verb meaning to overwhelm
or intimidate.

"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."

Buffalo from the city of Buffalo, which are intimidated by buffalo
from Buffalo, also intimidate buffalo from Buffalo.

I didn't say it was *good* English, but it is *legal* English.

Steven D'Aprano

Did you mean: Badger badger Badger badger badger badger Badger badger Mushroom! Mushroom!

Er... no, I can't parse that. I suffered a Too Much Recursion error about
the third Badger (I only have a limited runtime stack).

I asked my missus about this one, she being much better at English grammar
than I am, and she thinks the badger/mushroom sentence is a wind-up. Is
she right?