DropDown in DataGrid

RS

Hello,
I need to add a dropdown list to datagrid. Once page is displayed on change
of the selection of the dropdown for that row, I need to be able to capture
the value of the dropdown and do some things in the code behind. I got
Dropdown list to show up in the grid and all values that I need are there.
What I am missing is capture of onchange event.

Does anyone have any idea how to capture event on the page behind?

Thanks so much to everyone!!

Richard Dudley

There's a great series on doing stuff like this as 4guysfromrolla.com. It's
a long series, but is a good guide. He turned it into a book called
"ASP.NET Data Web Controls Kick Start", which is for ASP.NET 1.1, so unless
you're going to be with 1.1 for a long while, I'd stick with the on-line
articles (I did buy the book about a year ago, and it is well worth it, but
the new 2.0 framework is now out, and the book isn't so relevant to that).

agapeton

Here's one way to do it... This is a 2.0 Gridview...

<asp:GridView ID="gvPeople" runat="server"
AutoGenerateColumns="false">
<Columns>
<asp:BoundField DataField="Name" HeaderText="Person
Name" />
<asp:TemplateField HeaderText="Best Friend">
<ItemTemplate>
<asp:DropDownList ID="ddlFriend"
runat="server"
AppendDataBoundItems="true"
DataTextField="Name"
OnSelectedIndexChanged="Runit"
DataValueField="Name">
<asp:ListItem Text="-"
Value="0"></asp:ListItem>
</asp:DropDownList>
</ItemTemplate>
</asp:TemplateField>
</Columns>
</asp:GridView>

Or you can always do something that looks like this...

((DropDownList)gvPeople.Controls[0].Controls[n].Controls[1].FindControl("ddlFriend")).SelectedIndexChanged
+= new EventHandler(Default4_SelectedIndexChanged);

I think declaratively is easier myself... believe me it's even EASIER
in .NET 2.0 with the data source controls.