Error in Python documentation

Peter

I found a minor error in the Python documentation for 2.4 which I
thought I would report. But after a while I gave up. I wonder if this
sort of reporting which is less than a bug could be made easier? The
error was that the index entry to 'print statement' sent me to
http://www.python.org/doc/2.4.2/lib/types.html#l2h-90. From the point
of view of making Python accessible this sort of typo should be easily
reportable.

skip

peter> I found a minor error in the Python documentation for 2.4 which I
peter> thought I would report. But after a while I gave up. I wonder if
peter> this sort of reporting which is less than a bug could be made
peter> easier? The error was that the index entry to 'print statement'
peter> sent me to http://www.python.org/doc/2.4.2/lib/types.html#l2h-90.
peter> From the point of view of making Python accessible this sort of
peter> typo should be easily reportable.

You can always report documentation problems to (e-mail address removed). I'll
submit a bug report. A quick glance didn't locate the source of the
problem.

Skip

Peter

From http://www.python.org/doc/2.4.2/ go to the Library reference
http://www.python.org/doc/2.4.2/lib/lib.html from there to the index
(i) at http://www.python.org/doc/2.4.2/lib/genindex.html. In the index
select 'p' and click to reach
http://www.python.org/doc/2.4.2/lib/types.html#l2h-90 . At the foot of
this page is a link: "See About this document... for information on
suggesting changes." which if you follow takes you to
http://www.python.org/doc/2.4.2/lib/about.html where there is:

If you find specific errors in this document, either in the content or
the presentation, please report the bug at the Python Bug Tracker at
SourceForge.

So you need to add a bug to the Python bug tracker -- at least so it
seems.

Peter

skip

... [much page traversal deleted] ...

peter> So you need to add a bug to the Python bug tracker -- at least so
peter> it seems.

If you go to the top of the doc tree:

http://docs.python.org/

and look in the left-hand sidebar you'll see "(e-mail address removed)" under the
heading "Email Us".

Steve Holden

Peter said:
http://www.python.org/doc/2.4.2/lib/lib.html from there to the index
(i) at http://www.python.org/doc/2.4.2/lib/genindex.html. In the index
select 'p' and click to reach
http://www.python.org/doc/2.4.2/lib/types.html#l2h-90 . At the foot of
this page is a link: "See About this document... for information on
suggesting changes." which if you follow takes you to
http://www.python.org/doc/2.4.2/lib/about.html where there is:

If you find specific errors in this document, either in the content or
the presentation, please report the bug at the Python Bug Tracker at
SourceForge.

So you need to add a bug to the Python bug tracker -- at least so it
seems.
That's somewhat ingenuous, since that sentence is immediately preceded
by """General comments and questions regarding this document should be
sent by email to (e-mail address removed). """. I should have thought that
inability to register a bug on Sourceforge would have justified an email
to (e-mail address removed).

Did you send such an email? I'm sure that your comments would be actioned.

regards
Steve