error when compiling source on linux

aj

when I try to compile Python 2.6 from source code on ubuntu, I get the
message
/usr/bin/ld: cannot open output file python: Is a directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [python] Error 1
PLEASE HELP!

Peter Fodrek

when I try to compile Python 2.6 from source code on ubuntu, I get the
message
/usr/bin/ld: cannot open output file python: Is a directory

This says that there is directory in the sources with same name as will be
named output

It can only occur when you are not compiling software correctly via INSTALL or
README file

I think you made

../configure
make