Exam 70-305

Mr Newbie

//
And I counter-claim that, whereas it may be a learning process (as is
everything from the moment you are born until the moment you die), that
learning is of no practical use whatever other than to prove that you have
excellent short-term memory. You may as well learn the value of pi to 1,000
places.
\\

Do you really beleive that 'learning is of no practical use other than to
prove that you have excellent short term memory' ?

Come now Mr Rae, surely you do not really beleive this ?

Regards Mr Newbie . . .

Mr Newbie

Oh, come now Mr Spencer ! (Which by the way, could be as fictitious as Mr
Newbie?), I was expecting a far more superior a rejoinder than this.

We may as well let the matter rest; you have your rhetoric (Which you are
convinced is logic and fact) and I have my view. So let us go about our
business, and continue to feel comfortable with our assumptions, as I can
see we are not likely to make common ground anytime soon.

Further dialog is only likely to elevate your resentment of me to an even
higher level.

With Best Regards

The Inimitable Mr Newbie !

AKA( Mr Anon )

;-D

Mark Rae

Do you really beleive that 'learning is of no practical use other than to
prove that you have excellent short term memory' ?

Come now Mr Rae, surely you do not really beleive this ?

To pass an MCP, you need to be able to remember a whole slew of minutiae
which you will never need to remember thereafter, and which you will
therefore quickly forget.

It's akin to learning a role for a one-time performance of a play.

You may as well just visit one of the many websites from where you can
download the entire collection of questions (and answers) for any MCP you're
interested in.

Mr Newbie

Mr Rae,

Perhaps our differences are mainly as a result of the methods of study you
think I employ.

In order to study for these certifications, my intention is to learn all I
can about the technology so that when I take the exam I can answer the
questions with a degree of implicit self trust in my underlying competence.

Simply learning answers rote from thousands of multi-choice questions is
not my idea of a useful learning experience and that is why I spend a lot of
time experimenting with the concepts brought to each chapter of the book I
am using.

I have used some of the practice questions to prepare myself for the
certification exam because I want to get through the exam regardless of
whoever thinks it has merit. However, the main drive is to learn, which I
am slowly, but surely, managing to do.

It may be some time before I can call myself competent or experienced with
this particular area of .NET but It will happen, and I will not only have
gained the knowledge that I desire, but I will additionally have the
certificate. Think of it as a framework which serves as a means to two ends.

Regards

Mr Newbie

Kevin Spencer

If you want to impress people with your flowery language, you might want to
look up the word "rhetoric" in the dictionary before you go flouncing it
around again, unless you are satisfied with your own subjectively elevated
perception of your erudition, and wish to continue remain ignorant of
reality. An abundance of multi-syllabic 19th-century Louisiana aristocratic
dialect doesn't compensate for ignorance of the meaning of words.

And, in the future, should you disagree with me, by all means, present your
arguments against my assertions, but leave out the personal attacks. You
wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
A watched clock never boils.

Kevin Spencer

I have used some of the practice questions to prepare myself for the
certification exam because I want to get through the exam regardless of
whoever thinks it has merit. However, the main drive is to learn

Now *there's* something I can applaud. The desire for knowledge is, in and
of itself, a worthy endeavor. Everyone has their own way of learning. I
admit that I seek knowledge about the technologies we work with out of sheer
fascination, and spend hours a day reading and researching. Often, that
research is in areas that do not necessarily or immediately promote my
career, but increase my overall knowledge. And that is always a good thing,
as areas of knowledge and study tend to overlap.

If I gave you the impression that knowledge itself is useless, let me clear
that up right away. While the ability to solve problems and find information
is *more" useful to a programmer, the importance of accumulation of
knowledge and understanding is not diminished.

In fact, I have sometimes toyed with the idea of studying the same materials
for just that purpose. However, I have yet to find the time to do so, and I
seem to learn better in a less-structured environment. But as I said, we all
learn in different ways.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
A watched clock never boils.

Mr Newbie

Mr Spencer,

Definitions of rhetoric on the Web:

a.. using language effectively to please or persuade
b.. grandiosity: high-flown style; excessive use of verbal ornamentation;
"the grandiosity of his prose"; "an excessive ornateness of language"
c.. palaver: loud and confused and empty talk; "mere rhetoric"
d.. study of the technique and rules for using language effectively
(especially in public speaking)
You will note that the 'rhetoric' has more than one definition in the
popular language usage. The one I refer to was the one at the top. Or more
plainly put for your simpler tastes.

"Your attempt at producing a cogent and compelling argument".

Still, your reply did have me laughing with a degree of gusto. When you get
to know me a little better from newsgroups palaver or more useful
conversation, you will find I bear no malice nor make it my business to
attack personally with the same, nor corporately, as this rarely bears any
fruit on the tree of assistance.

Regards Mr Newbie..

Kevin Spencer

When you get to know me a little better from newsgroups palaver or more
useful conversation, you will find I bear no malice nor make it my
business to attack personally with the same, nor corporately, as this
rarely bears any fruit on the tree of assistance.

I'm glad to hear that. Perhaps I misread some of your rhetorical
characterizations. In any case, I'll take you at your word. At least you
seem to be able to deal with dispute in an emotionally-healthy manner. That
I respect.

As for the definition of "rhetoric," you still seem to miss the difference
(albeit subtle) between rhetoric and logic, or logical argument. Logic is
not an attempt to please or persuade. It is a means of resolving a problem,
of ascertaining as closely as possible the truth about an issue. To employ
logic in an argument is therefore not the same as to employ rhetoric. Logic
does not persuade. You cannot persuade 1 to be 0, nor true to be false. In
other words, rhetoric persuades, while logic dictates.

I am not interested in persuasion. That is best left to politicians and
salesmen. I am interested in truth, in fact, and in the logical ways and
means of deriving truth and fact, the only ideas that are useful for the
accomplishment of any purpose, particularly with regards to programming,
which is purely mathematical and logical, but also to the accomplishment of
(theoretically) anything whatsoever. In any case, my passion is the search
for truth.

I am here to help. Help with regards to these forums comes through
knowledge. Knowledge comes not by persuasion, but by logic and fact. When
fact is not known, it can often be derived by logic. However, as not all
facts are known, what seems to be factual logically may turn out to be
false, when more facts are brought to light.

Therefore, when I make an argument regarding an idea, I try to employ logic
with the same discipline that I apply to programming. I must admit, however,
that it is often *regarded* as rhetoric, and taken as a challenge to the
individual, rather than to an idea. This often leads to a reaction against
me, as if I owned the idea that I made an argument for. I may hold an idea;
I may defend and idea; but it will never belong to me. If a person can
logically refute the idea, I am just as quick to abandon it. After all, I
only have a limited life span in which to solve the riddles of life.

Conversely, when I challenge an idea, I am not challenging the individual
who promotes the idea, as if the idea were a reflection of that person.
However, this is quite often misunderstood in much the same way.

Rhetorical persuasion, however, does nothing to clarify an issue, nor to
solve a problem. It confuses issues, as it masquerades as information,
although it is not. It is manipulation disguised as information.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
A watched clock never boils.

Mr Newbie

Congratulations on a well written reply.

I have only one point to take you up on. I do not confuse "rhetoric" with
logic or fact. Perhaps I could have phrased it more accurately than I did,
which lead to the confusion over my meaning. I will take more care next time
in order to avoid any confusion.

In any case, we seem to have reached a plateau of normality now, so I feel
we can move on and leave this well reasoned debate behind.

Regards - Mr. Newbie

Kevin Spencer

:-D

--