file functions

Bill Cunningham

fseek() fgetpos() and fsetpos() work this way if I understand and please
anyone correct me if I'm wrong. fseek() reading from origin and reads
addresses and f*pos get and puts the file pointer to a value at any address?
I want to read bytes in a file stream up from JUNK in a .avi file to LIST.
This is filler data and I would like to remove the unset bytes. Why would I
want to do this? As an experiment with these fuctions and to make an .avi
unreadable until the correct amount of padding is restored.

Bill

Barry Schwarz

fseek() fgetpos() and fsetpos() work this way if I understand and please
anyone correct me if I'm wrong. fseek() reading from origin and reads
addresses and f*pos get and puts the file pointer to a value at any address?
I want to read bytes in a file stream up from JUNK in a .avi file to LIST.
This is filler data and I would like to remove the unset bytes. Why would I
want to do this? As an experiment with these fuctions and to make an .avi
unreadable until the correct amount of padding is restored.

Here's a start:

fseek need not read anything from the stream. If it does, it
won't be addresses.

fseek need not start from the origin (even after you decide
what you think origin means).

None of the functions change the file pointer at all.

Why did you ignore the ftell function which you will need to
complement fseek (the same way fgetpos and fsetpos complement each
other)?

Now go get a reference manual and stop guessing.