formatted output question with strings

Jojo

Hi all,

I was wondering how I can perform formatted output with C++ strings. For
example, suppose I have in plain C:

sprintf(C_string, "%5.2f %6d");

How can I do such a thing with C++ strings? Using a string stream and
the << operator does not give me the formatting control like sprintf. Or
did I miss something.... :-|

Jeroen

Tim Love

Jojo said:
I was wondering how I can perform formatted output with C++ strings. For
example, suppose I have in plain C:
sprintf(C_string, "%5.2f %6d"); ???

Or did I miss something.... :-|
Look up fill, width, adjustfield, setprecision, floatfield etc. E.g.

cout << 1331 <<endl;
cout << "In hex " << hex<< 1331 <<endl;

cout << 1331.123456 <<endl;
cout.setf(ios::scientific,ios::floatfield);
cout <<1331.123456 <<endl;
cout << setprecision(3) << 1331.123456 <<endl;
cout << dec << 1331 <<endl;
cout.fill('X');
cout.width(8);
cout << 1331 <<endl;
cout.setf(ios::left,ios::adjustfield);
cout.width(8);
cout << 1331 <<endl;

Jojo

Tim Love schreef:

I was a bit in a hurry, I forgot the numeric arguments...
Look up fill, width, adjustfield, setprecision, floatfield etc. E.g.

cout << 1331 <<endl;
cout << "In hex " << hex<< 1331 <<endl;

cout << 1331.123456 <<endl;
cout.setf(ios::scientific,ios::floatfield);
cout <<1331.123456 <<endl;
cout << setprecision(3) << 1331.123456 <<endl;
cout << dec << 1331 <<endl;
cout.fill('X');
cout.width(8);
cout << 1331 <<endl;
cout.setf(ios::left,ios::adjustfield);
cout.width(8);
cout << 1331 <<endl;

I'll look that up. At first glance, the C++ method seems much less
'comprehensive' than sprintf. But I think it's better for me to get rid
of my plain-C habits when coding C++ :)

Thanx,

Jeroen

Juha Nieminen

Jojo said:
I'll look that up. At first glance, the C++ method seems much less
'comprehensive' than sprintf. But I think it's better for me to get rid
of my plain-C habits when coding C++ :)

The C-style format string functions are compact, relatively easy
to learn and remember, and fast. Once you get the hang of them, it's
very easy to perform relatively complex formatting with a very small
amount of code which only takes a small amount of time to write.
Also, you never need to worry if some formatting setting "leaks" or
not (ie. if the stream will "remember" that setting or forget about
it immediately after printing the value).
The C++-style printing functions are much more verbose, and a
complex C one-liner can easily become over a dozen of lines of C++
(or, alternatively, a dozen of << operator calls in a row) using
diverse function names from <iostream> and <iomanip>. In some cases
it also feels a bit inconsistent whether some stream setting is
remembered or forgotten between << operator calls. Most are forgotten,
but some are remembered, causing potential "formatting leaks".

On the other hand:

C-style printing functions lack abstraction, which is the whole point
in the C++-style ones. For example, assume you have this:

typedef int MyIndex;
// Somewhere else:
MyIndex index;
std::printf("The value is: %i\n", index);

The printf() breaks the abstraction of 'MyIndex' because it assumes
it's an int. If you later change the typedef to:

typedef long MyIndex;

the printf() will break if long is larger than int (which is usually
the case in 64-bit systems). Even if the compiler is so smart as to
warn you about the incompatible printf format string, it could still
be tedious to go and change every single printf which uses that type
(which is something you wanted to avoid doing by using the typedef
in the first place).

Getting around this problem can be done, in a limited way, with all
kinds of awkward kludges, such as:

typedef int MyIndex;
#declare MyIndexFormatString "%i"
std::printf("The value is: " MyIndexFormatString "\n", index);

Of course this breaks immediately if you change MyIndex to something
not supported by printf(), such as a class.

Naturally you could try to avoid this problem by writing a function
for the only purpose of printing your MyIndex, like this:

void printMyIndex(MyIndex value);
std::printf("The value is: ");
printMyIndex(index);
std::printf("\n");

But this has two problems: You already lost the advantage over
the C++-way (ie. compactness), and you can't specify the formatting
for printing the value anylonger. You would have to add even more
kludges to this if you wanted to be able to specify the formatting:

void printMyIndex(MyIndex value, const char* format);
std::printf("The value is: ");
printMyIndex(index, "05");
std::printf("\n");

Of course if you wanted that width parameter to be defined by
a variable instead of being a string literal, it would become even
more complicated and awkward. The more you develop this further,
the more you are actually re-implementing C++ printing functions.

Also, the lack of abstraction causes a really bad breakdown with
templates. Consider:

template<typename T>
void print(const T& value)
{
std::printf("???", value); // What to write here???
}

The big advantage of C++-style printing is that it's abstract.
You don't have to worry about types. For example:

std::cout << index << std::endl; // I don't care what 'index' is.

Or:

template<typename T>
void print(const T& value)
{
std::cout << T << std::endl; // It doesn't matter what T is.
}

If you create your own class and you want to support printing it
in the regular way, you can! So it's perfectly possible to do this:

class MyIndex { ... };
MyIndex index;
std::cout << index << std::endl;

That MyIndex could be an int, a long, a double, a string or your
own Class, it doesn't matter. You don't have to specify the type
explicitly in the printing command, unlike in C.

Jojo

Juha Nieminen schreef:
SNIP

If you create your own class and you want to support printing it
in the regular way, you can! So it's perfectly possible to do this:

class MyIndex { ... };
MyIndex index;
std::cout << index << std::endl;

That MyIndex could be an int, a long, a double, a string or your
own Class, it doesn't matter. You don't have to specify the type
explicitly in the printing command, unlike in C.

Thanks for the big story, very informative :) I guess that for the last
example you have to write an 'operator <<' for class MyIndex in order to
get it to work?

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?=

Juha Nieminen schreef:

Thanks for the big story, very informative :) I guess that for the last
example you have to write an 'operator <<' for class MyIndex in order to
get it to work?

You can use some ugly work-arounds like adding a print() method to the
class which returns a char* containing the output, this lets you do
something like

MyIndex index;

printf("index: %s\n", index.print());

James Kanze

I was wondering how I can perform formatted output with C++ strings. For
example, suppose I have in plain C:
sprintf(C_string, "%5.2f %6d");
How can I do such a thing with C++ strings?

To do exactly the above is a bit awkward, since you need several
manipulators. But normally, you only do something like the
above because C doesn't offer any alternative. What is the
first argument? What is the second? What semantic
characteristic does the first have which means that it should be
formatted using %5.2f, for example. In C++, you define the
formatting for such semantic characteristics, then write
something like:

... << ItsAToto << totosValue << ...

Something like ItsAToto is called a manipulator. Anytime you
write an application, you define the logical manipulators for
the various semantics that you want to support on output. That
way, if the request comes that all Toto now have to be output
with three digits after the decimal, you just change the
manipulator.

Note that most of the time, you're not outputting int's or
double's, but user defined types, which already have a specific
application dependant semantic. In such cases, the type of
"totosValue" says it all, and you don't need the manipulator.

(In text processing, this is known as logical mark-up. Roughly
speaking: C requires you to specify the physical mark-up,
locally, at each output site. C++ allows you to define a style
sheet.)
Using a string stream and
the << operator does not give me the formatting control like sprintf.

It gives you a lot more.
Or did I miss something.... :-|

If you're not familiar with maniipulators, or user defined
operator<<, you've missed practically all of iostream. (The
third important point is user defined streambufs.)

James Kanze

The C-style format string functions are compact, relatively easy
to learn and remember, and fast.

They're compact. That's all you can say for them. They're
very, very limited in what they can do, however, and they're
very, very low level, and don't support higher level
abstractions. They also quite exoteric; even after 25 years of
using them, and actually having written an implementation of
printf, I still have to check with the manual for anything but
the simplest formatting.
Once you get the hang of them, it's
very easy to perform relatively complex formatting with a very small
amount of code which only takes a small amount of time to write.

And it's impossible to write any maintainable code, because the
low level formatting details creep down into the high level
output statements.
Also, you never need to worry if some formatting setting "leaks" or
not (ie. if the stream will "remember" that setting or forget about
it immediately after printing the value).
The C++-style printing functions are much more verbose, and a
complex C one-liner can easily become over a dozen of lines of C++
(or, alternatively, a dozen of << operator calls in a row) using
diverse function names from <iostream> and <iomanip>.

Not if you use it correctly. (Anything can be abused, of
course.) The difference is that in the C output, you have to
provide all of the information for physical formatting in the
single statement. In C++, you provide the information for the
physical formatting in the manipulator (which works more or less
like a style sheet in a word processor); the client code just
invokes the correct logical manipulator. And most of the time,
even that isn't necessary, because all of the logical
information for formatting is implicit in the type of the
expression. So you end up with:

std::cout << myVariable ;

instead of:

printf( "%-30s %5.2f %3d",
myVariable.getName(),
myVariable.getValue1(),
myVariable.getValue2() ) ;

(What was that about printf being compact?) And of course, the
C++ version continues to work correctly when value2 is changed
from int to long, or when an additional value is added, or when
it is suddenly decided that value one need three digits after
the decimal.
In some cases it also feels a bit inconsistent whether some
stream setting is remembered or forgotten between << operator
calls. Most are forgotten, but some are remembered, causing
potential "formatting leaks".

That's probably the one real pain of iostream formatting. All
of the formatting flags except width are "sticky". So you throw
in a quick additional output for debugging purposes:

std::cout << std::hex << value << std::endl ;

and all of the output which follows is in hex. (It's a
"feature" when outputting tabular data, of course: set the
precision once, before iterating over the table. But
generally...)

My own manipulators restore the original formatting flags in
their destructor, i.e. at the end of the full expression. And
of course, I've got an RAII class for restoring the original
format as well, which can be used in a function which modifies
formatting. But I agree that such things really shouldn't be
necessary.

James Kanze

Juha Nieminen schreef:

[...]
Thanks for the big story, very informative :) I guess that for the last
example you have to write an 'operator <<' for class MyIndex in order to
get it to work?

Obviously. The compiler can't know how you want it formatted.

Another point that hasn't been mentionned is that the C++ idiom
rigorously separates formatting from data sinking and sourcing.
So you can write your own sinks and sources, and still get all
of the existing formatting. In addition, the sinks and sources
can chain, so you can e.g. expand tabs or strip comments from
the source before the input functions ever see it. (There's
less need of this in output, but I use it, for example, to
insert time stamps in log files.)

Jojo

James Kanze schreef:
[...]

Well, maybe I can see that I didn't miss it because I haven't take a
close look at it yet... :) Or is this too far from programmers logic?
Nevertheless, thanks for your explanation and I'll definitly take a deep
dive into iostream to become more familiar with it.

Jeroen