ftp from problem

uNConVeNtiOnAL

Hi All -

I want to ftp a file to my account via some java code from a java
application running somewhere else in the world . I found some code and
am close to having it work.
Only one java file is needed, along with one test program written in
java.

Both files (java) are in my ftp directory - ftp to ftp.visi.com
using anonymous and your email password. cd to /users/tomcat. You
have
to compile them and run them - I just used textpad and my java_home (JDK
1.3.2)

When I run the program after you type in ftp.visi.com I get the
following (which shows an error):

Trying to connect anonymously to ftp.visi.com
Successfully logged in!
System type is: UNIX Type: L8
Current directory is: /
java.net.SocketException: Connection reset by peer: JVM_recv in socket
input str
eam read
at java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead(Native Method)
at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:90)
at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:68)
at java.io.InputStreamReader.fill(InputStreamReader.java:173)
at java.io.InputStreamReader.read(InputStreamReader.java:249)
at java.io.BufferedReader.fill(BufferedReader.java:139)
at java.io.BufferedReader.readLine(BufferedReader.java:299)
at java.io.BufferedReader.readLine(BufferedReader.java:362)
at FTPConnection.getFullServerReply(FTPConnection.java:420)
at FTPConnection.getServerReply(FTPConnection.java:405)
at FTPConnection.openPort(FTPConnection.java:877)
at FTPConnection.setupDataPort(FTPConnection.java:814)
at FTPConnection.executeDataCommand(FTPConnection.java:754)
at FTPConnection.processFileListCommand(FTPConnection.java:532)
at FTPConnection.getAndParseDirList(FTPConnection.java:565)
at FTPConnection.listFiles(FTPConnection.java:481)
at FTPConnection.listFiles(FTPConnection.java:466)
at TestFTP.main(TestFTP.java:71)
Press any key to continue . . .
================================
I did try using the dash in front of my password - no go. I think this

is a timing
or 'handshake' issue, but my attempts to fix this so far have failed .
I put the 2
exact files in my ftp area - of course I have tried more basic kinds of
ftp like
sending and receiving (look in the code for FTPConnection.java - it's
like a mini-
api for the test program. I always end up with the same
ava.net.SocketException: Connection reset by peer: error - I can switch
directories many times without
that failing, it seems when I transfer data it gets hosed -

Can anybody help out ??

Regards

Tom

Tim Ward

uNConVeNtiOnAL said:
I always end up with the same
ava.net.SocketException: Connection reset by peer: error - I can switch
directories many times without
that failing, it seems when I transfer data it gets hosed -

That exception almost certainly means (ie unless it's lying) that a TCP
packet was received with the RST bit set. There are many possible reasons
why this might have happened. If it were my problem I'd probably start by
looking at a trace of the network traffic.