Garbled Font

pengypenguin

I've made this little example script for a project I'm working on, and
the text that gets output seems to be chewed up in IE for Windows.
Every other (major) browser has no problem rendering the text, but in
IE it seems garbled, or aliased perhaps. Can anyone confirm this, and
maybe help me diagnose it? I would very much appriciate it.

Here is the example:
http://www.whit.info/dev/sf_toy.html

Thanks in advance!

-- Whit Nelson

web.dev

I've made this little example script for a project I'm working on, and
the text that gets output seems to be chewed up in IE for Windows.
Every other (major) browser has no problem rendering the text, but in
IE it seems garbled, or aliased perhaps. Can anyone confirm this, and
maybe help me diagnose it? I would very much appriciate it.

Here is the example:
http://www.whit.info/dev/sf_toy.html

Thanks in advance!

-- Whit Nelson

Works fine in IE6.

agapeton

I agree with the other guy... it works in IE6. It's just not pretty.
The point is that... that's probably as good as it gets.

Whit

I'm afraid I can't accept that. Just using CSS, if I use IE's filter
opacity rule, it looks fine. It would seem to be something in the
Javascript which is garbling the text. The parties involved require a
clean look, and I aim to give it to them. Also I just want to know what
is going wrong. Does anyone have any clue?

-- Whit Nelson

TC

I've made this little example script for a project I'm working on, and
the text that gets output seems to be chewed up in IE for Windows.
Every other (major) browser has no problem rendering the text, but in
IE it seems garbled, or aliased perhaps. Can anyone confirm this, and
maybe help me diagnose it? I would very much appriciate it.

Here is the example:
http://www.whit.info/dev/sf_toy.html

Delete or suppress the style definitions, and you'll see it happen a
little more clearly. Then suppress the 'grow' call, and the problem
goes away. So it's something to do with the 'grow' procedure.

HTH,
TC (MVP MSAccess)
http://tc2.atspace.com

GLC

It seems to me to be caused by microsoft's opacity filter.
Perhaps you could use style.color and fade from background color to the
desired foreground color. It takes a little more work but has better
cross browser support.

GLC

The .test class is not using the filter you have set.
For IE to use 'filter' a width or a height MUST be specified.
Try adding width:100% to the .test class and you'll see the rendered
text is then 60% opaque and the font no longer antialiased.

Info_Junkie

I've made this little example script for a project I'm working on, and
the text that gets output seems to be chewed up in IE for Windows.
Every other (major) browser has no problem rendering the text, but in
IE it seems garbled, or aliased perhaps. Can anyone confirm this, and
maybe help me diagnose it? I would very much appriciate it.

Here is the example:
http://www.whit.info/dev/sf_toy.html

Thanks in advance!

-- Whit Nelson

Have Windows XP Pro SP2 with latest IE 6+. See no problems here.

Info_Junkie

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <[email protected]>,
dated Mon, 9 Oct 2006 20:33:25 remote, seen in
news:comp.lang.javascript said:
I'm afraid I can't accept that. Just using CSS, if I use IE's filter
opacity rule, it looks fine. It would seem to be something in the
Javascript which is garbling the text. The parties involved require a
clean look, and I aim to give it to them. Also I just want to know what
is going wrong. Does anyone have any clue?

-- Whit Nelson

If you want to be taken seriously by the experts here -

Honour Usenet convention
Do not top-post
Do not over-quote
If possible, use a standard SigSep

The choice is yours.

It's a good idea to read the newsgroup and its FAQ. See below.