GD.pm problem with GD::Image::newFromGif

lakshminaarayanan.r

Hello all,

I have seen posts with similar problems in the past. However, no
solution has been posted to this problem:
Although newFromGif function is defined and present in the file GD.pm,
it doesnt function. It results in failure.

A command like this

$im = newFromGif GD::Image(\*GIF) || die "couldn't make image : $!\n";

always results in dying of the program with the error message.

I am using the old version of GD.pm (1.16), since i was havign problems
installing the latest version of GD.pm and i need the gif functionality
too.
The system it is running on is a Solaris 2.8 machine (64bit).

Can anyone please help me in this?

Regards
LN

zentara

Hello all,

I have seen posts with similar problems in the past. However, no
solution has been posted to this problem:
Although newFromGif function is defined and present in the file GD.pm,
it doesnt function. It results in failure.

A command like this

$im = newFromGif GD::Image(\*GIF) || die "couldn't make image : $!\n";

always results in dying of the program with the error message.

I am using the old version of GD.pm (1.16), since i was havign problems
installing the latest version of GD.pm and i need the gif functionality
too.
The system it is running on is a Solaris 2.8 machine (64bit).

Can anyone please help me in this?

When you build the GD c libs, don't you need to explicity enable gif
support with --enable-gif ?
It sounds like the c lib was built without gif ( or ungif) support,
which was commonly done a few years ago when there was that
hassle with some proprietary compression patent? That's over now.

Try getting the GD source and rebuild with gif support.